Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Distilling  (Read 23843 times)

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
Re: Distilling
« Reply #60 on: October 18, 2010, 07:45:47 pm »
Distilling can be legal, just like homebrewing can be illegal. Look at all of the people that openly posted here from states where brewing was/is illegal. Sorry, I don't buy the illegal argument as reason not to discuss it.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #61 on: October 18, 2010, 07:52:45 pm »
Whatever the AHS's reason for not wanting us to discuss the process here, I respect, and hope everyone else feels the same way. As I stated before, I don't feel the reason is legalaties. The AHA is here to promote HOMEBREWING, not distilling. A large part of the population that does not brew, views it as one in the same. So, they don't want to give any so called "lurker on this board" any more reason to think we are rum runners. The right to home brew has been fought long and hard in many states, and  still happening in some. So, let's not give these guys with thier panties in a wad any more reason to think we are moonshiners, by discussing processes here.
   That bein said, I would just like to add, I like turtles.
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #62 on: October 18, 2010, 07:58:04 pm »
I'm completely fine with following their rules, but as far as being referred to as a moonshiner, I think that's funny as hell and kind of enjoy it.

Offline uthristy

• Brewer
  • Hot & sticky Fla.
« Reply #63 on: October 19, 2010, 07:06:42 am »
I'm completely fine with following their rules, but as far as being referred to as a moonshiner, I think that's funny as hell and kind of enjoy it.

Its all fun n games till the local cops bust in and charge you, yes you may win in the long run but at what cost?
Here in my part of Fla. moonshine is very real and hoping the cops would know the difference is asking alot. I made sure to tell everybody I brew beer and always offer samples to avoid any problems.

<snip>

So not everybody shares our love of beer and its best not to give them any ammo against the hobby.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 01:53:04 pm by uthristy »

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #64 on: October 19, 2010, 09:29:43 am »
I don't necessarily agree with this line of thinking.

I think Denny' point is there are a lot of generalities about us as homebrewers. A lot of people think we are nothing but moonshiners. So, let's say someone with this ignorant mantality is lukrking this board. They see a thread about distillation, with procedures. This is only going to add fuel to their fire.
   I may be taking his post the wrong way, but I think this was the line of reasoning.

That's exactly it, Barry.  We have an uphill battle with many legislators trying to convince them that if they legalize homebrewing, they won't be creating moonshiners.  We don't want to add to that mistaken impression.  Frankly, I really wish one of you guys who are interested in this would create a place where you could all discuss it.  It's outside of the AHA's mission, and I'd rather not have it going on here.  That's my opinion only....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #65 on: October 19, 2010, 11:03:31 am »
<snip>

That's exactly it, Barry.  We have an uphill battle with many legislators trying to convince them that if they legalize homebrewing, they won't be creating moonshiners.  We don't want to add to that mistaken impression.  Frankly, I really wish one of you guys who are interested in this would create a place where you could all discuss it.  It's outside of the AHA's mission, and I'd rather not have it going on here.  That's my opinion only....

Respectfully, I disagree.

If the mission is homebrewing and we want to stick to that, let's do it (TechTalk?).  If we are opening the box and going for barbeque, music, hockey, each other's health, etc. then I think distilling is just as valid.

I don't believe the majority of "lurkers" on the board are bored legislators.

Just my opinion.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #66 on: October 19, 2010, 11:12:32 am »
The difference I see is that BBQ, music, health issues, etc. are legal.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #67 on: October 19, 2010, 11:19:34 am »
And not adding to the myth that homebrewers are up to anythnig shady.

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #68 on: October 19, 2010, 11:45:38 am »

Maybe not "shady" but could definitely be construed as "sinful". As in, some of that BBQ stuff looks absolutely sinfully good. :)
Joe

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #69 on: October 19, 2010, 12:30:44 pm »

Well, if'n I was a moonshiner, I'd want to set my still up in the shade.

All jokes aside, I certainly understand the AHA concern about the discussion of distilling (from a hands-on technical viewpoint) and in regard to possible efforts to legalize distilling. Our mission & purpose are about beer and brewing, not distillation, wine-making, etc. I can see where some might think it's not in the interest of the organization, or even might be bad for our primary interests, to consider efforts to legalize home distillation.

On the other hand, there is a strong and direct tie in between beer and whisky distillation, not to mention cross-fertillization with whisky barrels being used to age beer and even in some cases beer barrels being used to age whisky. I firmly believe that if we homebrewers had the freedom to learn to safely distill at home, our creativity, experimentation and willingness to explore & push the limits would benefit the craft brewing industry and their ventures in distillation.

While this currently may be a minority opinion and interest, I'd like to see us continue our discussions here rather than take it to a distillation forum in the hopes that more home brewers may become interested in making home distillation legal. It may be a while before that would gain enough traction to become a goal of the AHA but we have to start somewhere. Its both an issue of freedom (and I think most home brewers are in favor of that) but also of huge p[otential benefit to our interest in alcoholic beverages. If I had a brewery, I'd like the freedom to brew, distill, make a mead or a wine, blend all of 'em (or some of /em) together - in short to follow my creativity and taste wherever it might lead.

That is not currently possible with our laws today, but I can dream about the time when it might be possible. If enough of us share that dream we can make it happen. If we discuss it, we might find that more share that dream in our organization than we suspect... and if not, then maybe we'll convince them that we have a viable plan, but only if we continue to discuss and build interest & consensus.

(how's that for diplomaticly stating the postition?)
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #70 on: October 19, 2010, 12:34:37 pm »
Very well said. Thank you.

mrnate. Thats what I meant to say.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #71 on: October 19, 2010, 12:39:47 pm »
I can dream about the time when it might be possible. If enough of us share that dream we can make it happen. If we discuss it, we might find that more share that dream in our organization than we suspect... and if not, then maybe we'll convince them that we have a viable plan, but only if we continue to discuss and build interest & consensus.
(how's that for diplomaticly stating the postition?)

It is my hope that someday your dream will come true because without dreams there is no hope.
Ron Price

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #72 on: October 19, 2010, 03:57:25 pm »
And without questions, there are only statements. (or something like that)

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #73 on: October 20, 2010, 05:22:21 am »
ok, so let's take this in a more 'pc' & socially acceptable direction for a bit..... apparently there are a bunch of us who love distilled products. what's your favorite(s)?

Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline beerocd

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #74 on: October 20, 2010, 05:35:05 am »
ok, so let's take this in a more 'pc' & socially acceptable direction for a bit..... apparently there are a bunch of us who love distilled products. what's your favorite(s)?

My favorites are the types that would come out of a pot-still as opposed to those from a fractionating column.
Slivovic for example is a very clean drink, but has lots of flavor. Vodka, is TOO clean and flavorless for me.
The moral majority, is neither.