Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Distilling  (Read 23848 times)

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
Re: Distilling
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2010, 06:03:18 am »
1.Single Malt,

2.Bourbon,

3.Slivovitca.

There is a LOT more involved with the first two other than just distilling.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2010, 06:46:47 am »
ok, so let's take this in a more 'pc' & socially acceptable direction for a bit..... apparently there are a bunch of us who love distilled products. what's your favorite(s)?

My favorites are the types that would come out of a pot-still as opposed to those from a fractionating column.
Slivovic for example is a very clean drink, but has lots of flavor. Vodka, is TOO clean and flavorless for me.

I don't think you'll get much disagreement on that. Flavor is why most of us brew our own beer. While my taste in liquor is pretty eclectic; my favorite, by far, is single malt whisky. Hard to narrow that down to a favorite, but Talisker ranks pretty high (as does Springbank, Highland Park, The Macallan, Ardbeg and many others). Really depends on my mood & the time/place.

Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline akr71

• Brewmaster
  • Beer Ain't Drinkin' - Mojo Nixon
« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2010, 07:31:28 am »
1. single malt whisky (including Scotch)
2. congnac (brandy will do and is usually easier on the wallet)
3. rye or blended whisky
4. amber rum

I've never had the pleasure of trying a decent bourbon.  I'd bet that if I did, it would overtake rye in my list.
Andy

Amherst, NS - Canada

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2010, 07:47:51 am »
I guess my favorite is Ole Purple Sack Head....

Crown Royal  It is just so smooth to me

Next is my recently discovered affinity for Cognac
but it is not ez on the ole pocketbook...triple distilled grape...
For all the distillation that happens to that grape, there is a LOT of flavor
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2010, 08:00:04 am »
1) Single malt scotch (any, but especially Glenfiddich and Glenmorangie.  Or a good Islay if I'm in the right mood)
2) Bourbon
3) Blended scotch

I also enjoy a good vodka martini from time to time.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2010, 10:26:18 am »
I don't drink a lot of hard liquor, but when I do . . .

Gin and tonic - Bombay Sapphire, Pacific Voyager, Dry Fly
Whisky neat - Glenmorangie, Lagavulin, Laphroaig, Macallan, Oban, etc.
Whiskey neat or with diet (including bourbon and rye), depending on how good it is
Spiced rum (with diet or other mixer)

There are some seasonal things we do, eggnog with whiskey and/or rum, bloody marys are a Thanksgiving morning tradition, apple jack with mulled apple cider for halloween, etc.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2010, 12:55:52 pm »
Guys, distilling is not what this forum is about.  I'd appreciate it if this topic is dropped.

Sorry Denny. Didn't mean to cause a stir. I really gotta stop watching the History channel. It give me all kinds of ideas. You shoulda seen me the first season of Meteorite Men was on!!!  ;D

No because this is what the government would want: stupid, ignorant obedient citizens. 

Distilling, to me, isn't worth the effort.  The cost-benefit analysis of distilling vs. going out and buying your own bottle of whiskey is a clear choice.  It's cheaper, easier, and less work to buy your own, not make your own.
Jesse

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2010, 12:58:12 pm »
After much discussion, this thread will allowed to continue as long as the content doesn't stray into the distillation process.  This corresponds with the trend of breweries getting involved with distillation.  We've put a lot of effort into disproving the notion that homebrewers are moonshiners and don't feel that the organization as a whole benefits from discussions that confuse that effort.

Why is everyone so afraid to talk about this?  This isn't Nazi Germany for crying out loud.  Freedom of Speech!  Stand up for your First Amendment rights!
Jesse

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2010, 01:07:46 pm »
Old news, we are continuing to talk about it, and with the reserved blessings of the mods & AHA powers-that-be.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #84 on: October 20, 2010, 01:14:38 pm »
Old news, we are continuing to talk about it, and with the reserved blessings of the mods & AHA powers-that-be.

I know, but I just get so annoyed about people always looking over their shoulders afraid to say something that might be frowned upon.  I'm glad they're allowing it to be discussed.
Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #85 on: October 20, 2010, 01:47:10 pm »

I know, but I just get so annoyed about people always looking over their shoulders afraid to say something that might be frowned upon.  I'm glad they're allowing it to be discussed.

Look, I was an anarchist before you were born, but this isn't the right place for parts of this discussion.  That's all I'm trying to say.  We're all guests here and we all should do as our hosts ask.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #86 on: October 20, 2010, 02:00:09 pm »
[Look, I was an anarchist before you were born, but this isn't the right place for parts of this discussion.  That's all I'm trying to say.  We're all guests here and we all should do as our hosts ask.

Agreed, and what's the favorite distilled beverage of this particular anarchist?
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #87 on: October 20, 2010, 02:07:03 pm »
[Look, I was an anarchist before you were born, but this isn't the right place for parts of this discussion.  That's all I'm trying to say.  We're all guests here and we all should do as our hosts ask.

Agreed, and what's the favorite distilled beverage of this particular anarchist?

I used to be a gin and tonic drinker before I discovered homebrewing, but I can't remember the last time I drank liquor.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #88 on: October 20, 2010, 02:17:59 pm »
...and if we can't keep this thread in line...

we might drive Denny down to the still.  ;D

So let's behave.  ;)
Ron Price

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #89 on: October 20, 2010, 02:37:04 pm »
After much discussion, this thread will allowed to continue as long as the content doesn't stray into the distillation process.  This corresponds with the trend of breweries getting involved with distillation.  We've put a lot of effort into disproving the notion that homebrewers are moonshiners and don't feel that the organization as a whole benefits from discussions that confuse that effort.

Why is everyone so afraid to talk about this?  This isn't Nazi Germany for crying out loud.  Freedom of Speech!  Stand up for your First Amendment rights!
First of all, Godwin's Law.

Second of all, you know what makes me crazy?  People who don't understand the First Amendment.

Freedom of speech only refers to the government restricting speech.  Not your employer, not business owners, and certainly not moderators on an internet message board.  You have no right to free speech on this board.

Now where were we?  Oh yes, anarchy.  Denny, were you responsible for the WTO riots in Seattle?   ;D
Tom Schmidlin