Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ommegang Three Philosopher's  (Read 4384 times)

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
Re: Ommegang Three Philosopher's
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 05:16:56 pm »
This one was never one of my favorites.  Despite the blending, it seems to lack the complexity of a simpler Trappist dubbed.  I also don't think it ages very well... the year prominently displayed on the labeling seems to encourage vertical tastings that always disappoint.

The brewery is fun to visit, however.

narvin

« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2011, 07:50:23 pm »
This one was never one of my favorites.  Despite the blending, it seems to lack the complexity of a simpler Trappist dubbed.  I also don't think it ages very well... the year prominently displayed on the labeling seems to encourage vertical tastings that always disappoint.

The brewery is fun to visit, however.

I like Ommegang, don't get me wrong.  Hennepin... yes please!

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2011, 02:53:11 pm »
I was underwhelmed myself with it too, but I partly blame my massive overexpectations for it...at one point I was considering ordering a case direct from Ommegang, it seemed such a perfect beer idea (this was at a time when that would have been a greatly irresponsible expenditure for me!).  Finding it locally a few years back was a great treat, and when I tried it...it was good, but I had built it up far too much in my mind.  If they could actually increase the kriek blend and make the cherry a little less subtle I'd be more interested actually.  I should try it again, but I've had a hard time dropping money on expensive beer lately!  AG brewing will do that to you...