Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Biscuits - need help!  (Read 4926 times)

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
Biscuits - need help!
« on: October 15, 2012, 09:33:45 am »
I'm not the best cook in the world although I'd say I'm not the worst either.  But one thing that has always eluded me is biscuits.  So, I'm appealing to you for a good recipe and some good advice on how to make light, fluffy biscuits.  I make excellent flour based hockey pucks but nothing that would qualify as a biscuit.

I'm making chicken stew for supper and I thought biscuits would be a great partner.
I'd prefer to go from scratch (flour) instead of using Bisquick or something like that (because I don't have any and am not going to town today).

Thanks

Offline brewmichigan

• Brewer
Re: Biscuits - need help!
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2012, 09:37:30 am »
Mike --- Flint, Michigan

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2012, 09:38:14 am »
The most important thing with biscuits, like pie crust, is to not over mix. mix with a spoon and as little as possible. just this will help alot. if you devlop the gluten the biscuits will be tough.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2012, 09:52:48 am »
White Lily Flour
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 06:58:05 pm »
The most important thing with biscuits, like pie crust, is to not over mix. mix with a spoon and as little as possible. just this will help alot. if you devlop the gluten the biscuits will be tough.

+1 This is the secret, plus plenty of butter or shortening. If you are gonna do it right don't skimp on the fat.

I prefer drop biscuits but when cutting I use a sharp knife after rolling out and make square or rectangular biscuits that rise beautifully.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gmac

• Brewmaster General
  • London, Ontario
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2012, 09:25:20 pm »
I wasn't going to town for buttermilk so I tried a drop biscuit recipe. It was too wet and they stuck so I also did a regular one too and the bottoms burnt. I think the drops tasted better and I will do it again with less liquid. I will also try the Alton Brown recipe soon.

Offline Jimmy K

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2012, 07:25:14 am »
Since the biscuits were wet, and since you probably own a scale for brewing, you could try a recipe that measures flour by weight.  - Or, my mom mixes the fats and then shorts the water - adding a little more if needed just until it holds together. Stop when you think you're almost there.
Delmarva United Homebrewers - President by inverse coup - former president ousted himself.
AHA Member since 2006
BJCP Certified: B0958

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2012, 10:50:06 am »
If you do not have buttermilk you can substitute regular milk with a little (maybe .5 tsp) of white vinegar added. Do this first thing and let it sit on the counter while you prepare everything else.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline nateo

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2012, 07:45:16 pm »
Alton Brown had his grandma on the episode "The Dough Also Rises."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TDEiOI72YL8

Check out her technique.

Oh yeah, and using your hands can melt the fat if you don't work quickly enough. Do yourself a favor and use a fork or a pastry cutter.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2012, 08:43:03 pm by nateo »
In der Kürze liegt die Würze.