Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Quick extract batches.  (Read 3045 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Quick extract batches.
« on: October 04, 2010, 11:34:17 am »
Last night I brewed 3 batches of porter- Yes 3 batches! This is a record for me and only possible because I extract brewed with steeping grains.

I used #6 of DME in two gallons of water in the kettle. I steeped #1.25 of grain in a separate pot in about 3 quarts. This got added to the kettle and boiled for 45 minutes. Used one ounce total of Chinook 13AA: 0.5@ 45, 0.25 at 20 and 5 for 28 BU's.

Cooled in the tub and topped off with water from the tap and pitched on yeast cake.

I lost the first batch to the tub LOL with a total brain fart move. ::) Note to self: don't leave kettle in a running tub unattended. Did a Titanic on me... :'(

Luckily I had more DME. Did two more batches side by side. Easy and fast! Probably will return to brewing like this- especially in the summer since it only takes a few hours and clean-up is minimal.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Quick extract batches.
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 11:36:28 am »
The last time I did an extract batch it took me 1.5 hours longer than AG does!  But that was mainly because I was disorganized.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 11:42:03 am »
The last time I did an extract batch it took me 1.5 hours longer than AG does!  But that was mainly because I was disorganized.

Takes a bit of planning and organization, but like riding a bike. I broke my cardinal rule of no drinking on this one. I attribute the "accident" to this...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2010, 06:18:49 pm »
Next time don't batch sparge the can...
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 08:20:07 pm »

LMAO

Maybe a no sparge would fit the bill better.  ;D
Ron Price

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 08:43:51 pm »

LMAO

Maybe a no sparge would fit the bill better.  ;D

Is that why my beer sometimes tastes metallic...? ::)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2010, 10:05:04 am »

What?????  You mean I've been doing it wrong?????
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline makemehoppy

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2010, 06:29:09 pm »
I've been having problems getting back into brewing. I did an all extract hefe.
6 lbs wheat DME
1 oz  Liberty or Fuggles for 45 min boil
Wyeast 3068

I did a full volume boil so I still had the lag times heating up and cooling, but what an easy brew day!

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2010, 11:42:32 am »
I've got about 50 batches under my belt, and I've been saying for a couple of years its time to move to AG, but the fact is I can get a 5gal batch kicked off, and get all the clean up done in under 3hrs, so its just too damn easy to keep doing extract.

But I will go AG, one day...

Offline bonjour

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Troy, MI, 37mi, 60.9deg AR
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2010, 11:47:21 am »
Me too,

couldn't get the lme to stay in the grain sock,   go figure.  ;)
Fred Bonjour
Co-Chair Mashing in Michigan 2014 AHA Conference in Grand Rapids, Michigan
AHA Governing Committee; AHA Conference, Club Support & Web Subcommittees

Everything under 1.100 is a 'session' beer ;)