Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 100% Dark Munich Bock  (Read 5773 times)

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
100% Dark Munich Bock
« on: October 18, 2010, 10:17:10 am »
Was going to brew majorvice's traditional bock next week, and ordered some Weyermann Munich II from my new LHBS guy - only wanted 10-15lbs, but he's accustomed to me wanting full bags so I wound up with the whole nut, no big deal - I'll be using it.

Anyways, the recipe is usually a mix of light and dark with some carafa I for color, but then I was thinking "why not just all munich II?" This would help me kill a little inventory - I have no problem going through lots of light munich, but I'll have this dark munich for a while.

Very undecided - any thoughts out there?
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: 100% Dark Munich Bock
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 10:52:24 am »
I've never tried a 100% MM Bock before, but I can tell you that I went to the HNC Finals in 2009 with a recipe that is 60/20/20, Munich/Vienna/Pils and it is fantastic.  I also added a splash of Caramunich and melanoiden for kicks.  If you decide to try it, you won't be disappointed.  I would decoct it for best performance.
Ron Price

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 01:47:12 pm »
Last year Jeff Renner had a Dunkel made with 100% (I think) Wyermann Munich II.  Really good stuff.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 05:57:54 pm »
Well, it will help you understand what dark Munich tastes like...  I'd agree with Jeff that a dunkel is a better choice. I think if the gravity gets too high, the dark Munich can be pretty intense. Look for a bread crust flavor, sometimes with a toasted crust note. The graininess can get out of balance and sometimes it can have an astringent note. But it has a great flavor, quite unique, not very much like light Munich.

Back in the '90s, I made a recipe with 90% dark Munich and 10% aromatic that was supposed to be an authentic alt. It was so malty, it really swallowed the bitterness (50 IBUs of spalt). I loved the beer, but it really wasn't much like an alt.

So it can work to make a tasty beer but I'm not sure it will be something that kills the style. Depends on what you are targeting it for. If nothing else, you'll get a malt bomb that you can use to boost maltiness in other beers if you are up for some blending.

Give it a go. You'll learn something and you can probably use the result in several different ways.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

beveragebob

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 07:28:37 pm »
I remember in one of  Wheeler & Prosts recipe books, their Double Bock used 50% Light Munich and 50% Dark Munich. I may try a 5 gallon batch of that in the near future.

Offline blatz

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 09:30:48 am »
  I think if the gravity gets too high, the dark Munich can be pretty intense. Look for a bread crust flavor, sometimes with a toasted crust note.

I was wondering if that was going to be an issue - taht it would be too intense - I think I'll just brew the recipe as is - 50/50 light/dark munich and then if that turns out well then maybe next year's I'll up it to 25/75 and see - given the commitment to making bock, I'd be crushed if it were not very drinkable - 2 kegs of blending beer would be a bit much.

thanks for the comments guys - keep em coming!
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2010, 02:16:01 pm »
There are different Lovibond ratings for Munich malts from different maltsters. Weyermann's light Munich is 6-7 and their dark is 10-11, but others' light Munich can be 10 and their dark 20. So check the malster and/or the lovibond rating to be sure.
Brew on

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 08:35:44 pm »
I just made Czech Dark Lager with 90% Munich II and I thought it was too much.
100% Dunkel is great but it might be just too much for Bock.
Doing 50/50 Munich I and Munich II might be fine.
You could add 10 to 20 % Pilsner malt just to make it little lighter and add some enzymes.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2010, 02:55:28 pm »
There's some brewers who swear by all dark munich bocks (Kris England for one). I find them over the top, personally.

Offline blatz

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 02:57:42 pm »
There's some brewers who swear by all dark munich bocks (Kris England for one). I find them over the top, personally.

I'm brewing the recipe as is - no need to change a good thing