Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: determing the nutritional value of homebrew (Calories/Carbs)  (Read 2820 times)

Offline shawnx86

• 1st Kit
determing the nutritional value of homebrew (Calories/Carbs)
« on: October 18, 2010, 10:25:22 am »
I currently use Promash, but am looking for something that will tell me the colorie and carb content of my homebrew. I thought I saw someone say this was available in Promash but I can not seem to be able to figure that out. If anyone has suggestions including other software that will help I would greatly appreciate it.
Thanks
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike especially when young, how to use them." (Richard Henry Lee, 1788, Initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights, Walter Bennet

Offline svejk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Seattle, Wa
Re: determing the nutritional value of homebrew (Calories/Carbs)
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2010, 10:32:57 am »

Offline chezteth

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2010, 10:39:52 am »
I use beersmith which calculates the amount of calories per pint.  Since you already have Promash there is no reason to purchase another brewing software.  I would use the link provided by svejk.

Offline theDarkSide

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Derry, NH
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2010, 10:43:45 am »
I use beersmith which calculates the amount of calories per pint.  Since you already have Promash there is no reason to purchase another brewing software.  I would use the link provided by svejk.

Although this may be a good time to move over to Beersmith.  I own both and find BS to be much easier to use.  I don't think Promash has been updated for a while, and Brad Smith is working on a the next version of BS ( as well as putting out a book of his Beersmith Blog ).

Or you could just say Beer is good for and forget the whole calorie things altogether :)
Seacoast Homebrew Club - Portsmouth, NH
AHA Member
Stephen Mayo
------------------------------------------------

Offline shawnx86

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2010, 10:55:33 am »
Perfect, just what I was looking for I assume the carbs are listed as grams. For my last Honey Brown Ale I get 184 calories and 12.5 carbs. Looks Like I can incorporate this in to my exercise/nutrition plan.
"To preserve liberty, it is essential that the whole body of people always possess arms, and be taught alike especially when young, how to use them." (Richard Henry Lee, 1788, Initiator of the Declaration of Independence, and member of the first Senate, which passed the Bill of Rights, Walter Bennet

Offline shawnx86

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2010, 10:59:29 am »

Although this may be a good time to move over to Beersmith.  I own both and find BS to be much easier to use.  I don't think Promash has been updated for a while, and Brad Smith is working on a the next version of BS ( as well as putting out a book of his Beersmith Blog ).

Or you could just say Beer is good for and forget the whole calorie things altogether :)
Brad I agree that beer is good, but unfortunatly it makes my stomach larger, about 8 weeks ago I started an exercise program called P90X. It requires a lot of work, but has worked for me (16 lbs so far and 3 inches off my beer gut) I want to be able to enjoy my homebrew but still manage to keep my stomach from expanding.

Offline svejk

• Assistant Brewer
  • Seattle, Wa
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2010, 11:13:16 am »
Since we have control over the process and the recipes, I think it is possible to tweak things to come up with a beer that balances flavor and calories.  This last summer, I brewed a lot of light saisons using the Wyeast 3711 French Saison yeast.  That sucker will take a beer all the way down to 1.000.  The great part is to look at what that does to the calorie content of the beer:

A regular pale ale that goes from 1.050 to 1.010 has 5.3% ABV, 163 calories and 15.2 grams of carbohydrates.
A saison that goes from 1.040 to 1.000 has the same 5.3% ABV, but 127 calories and only 6.1 carbs.

That is a 22% reduction in calories with the same ABV.

Unfortunately I didn't lose any weight this summer, but I like to think it helped keep things from getting too much worse.