Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Wyeast 1450  (Read 1587 times)

Offline BrewQwest

• Cellarman
Wyeast 1450
« on: October 24, 2010, 08:40:10 am »
I brewed a cream ale with this yeast which turned out terrific after lagering it for a few weeks to drop the yeast.  I am currently using the cream ale's primary harvest of this yeast to chomp through a batch of Denny's Rye IPA.  My OG was 1.072 and it has been fermenting in the primary now for three and a half weeks.  The very center of the fermentor is temp controlled at 67F.  My question:  It is still bubbling away at a couple bubbles per minute. There is a very thin layer of yeast (I hope that's what it is) still laying on top.  Does this yeast have a reputation for being slower on the higher gravity beers? I was hoping to get this one into the dry hopping phase after 3 weeks, but as long as it is still bubbling away I don't want to transfer it. I have NEVER racked a brew to secondary that is still showing signs of fermentation. That much bubbling per day indicates fermentation or infection to me.  Thoughts anyone?
On a never-ending journey for the perfect pint of beer...

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: Wyeast 1450
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 10:29:11 am »
I would do a few things . . .

Taste it.
Check the gravity.
Leave the sample at room temp to see how much further it will drop.

I haven't used that strain though, so I can't give you any specific advice on it.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 10:48:06 am »
Check the gravity now....check it again in two days.

If the gravity does not change, the beer has finished fermenting. Let your gravity be your guide.

Good Luck.
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2010, 01:08:37 pm »
Like Tom and Ron said, believe the gravity, not the bubbles.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline wingnut

• Brewer
  • Plainwell MI
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2010, 09:15:57 am »
+1 Check Gravity, and never trust the bubbles or the yeast floating on top.

The yeast on top is often carried there by the CO2 leaving suspension in the beer.  It is not uncommon to have a colony of floating yeast well after the beer is finished. 
-- Wingnut - Cheers!