Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Heating a Fermentation Fridge  (Read 17243 times)

Offline ryantj

• 1st Kit
Re: Heating a Fermentation Fridge
« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2010, 10:55:16 am »
In fall like this I use a 25w or 40w bulb covered with tin foil and is always on in my ferm. fridge and then the fridge is on my Johnson. Yes that hurts. Once it gets cold enough and I do not need to cool I switch to a heating pad on my Johnson. Yes that feels good. I'd switch to a two stage controller if I could afford it but there always seems to be other priorities since I have a working Johnson, despite what my wife says.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #16 on: October 28, 2010, 11:25:27 am »
I have found that just placing a regular electric heating pad in my fermentation chamber will provide enough heat to keep the temperature from dropping too much in the winter.  My chamber has a digital Johnson controller to apply the cooling.  That controller is left at the desired fermentation temp and the heating pad is mostly uncontrolled.  I say mostly uncontrolled because most pads have a 3-position power switch that allows me to dial up the energy input when needed, or reduce it if the cooling system is coming on too often.  Its the way to go and its cheap.  You can find heating pads for around $15.  You do need to find a pad that does not have an automatic shutoff timer in it.  They are available. 

Oh, and you can use your heating pad for your aches and pains too.

Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #17 on: October 28, 2010, 11:35:05 am »
I have found that just placing a regular electric heating pad in my fermentation chamber will provide enough heat to keep the temperature from dropping too much in the winter.  My chamber has a digital Johnson controller to apply the cooling.  That controller is left at the desired fermentation temp and the heating pad is mostly uncontrolled.  I say mostly uncontrolled because most pads have a 3-position power switch that allows me to dial up the energy input when needed, or reduce it if the cooling system is coming on too often.  Its the way to go and its cheap.  You can find heating pads for around $15.  You do need to find a pad that does not have an automatic shutoff timer in it.  They are available. 

Oh, and you can use your heating pad for your aches and pains too.

In case your fridge is on your Johnson?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995