Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thanksgiving recipes -- let's see 'em!  (Read 9198 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Thanksgiving recipes -- let's see 'em!
« Reply #30 on: November 20, 2009, 07:38:38 am »
I only deep fry turkeys anymore and will be doing two this year.

And while the grease is hot, might as well deep fry some mac&cheese to go along ;)

What's a good size bird to fry...and how big is your fryer?

I'm going to fry a turkey for the first time this year and don't want to recreate the wheel.

Thanks!  8)
Ron Price

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #31 on: November 20, 2009, 08:08:57 am »
I only deep fry turkeys anymore and will be doing two this year.

And while the grease is hot, might as well deep fry some mac&cheese to go along ;)

What's a good size bird to fry...and how big is your fryer?

I'm going to fry a turkey for the first time this year and don't want to recreate the wheel.

Thanks!  8)

I stay with the 12-14 lb size. I just have one of those 7 gallon AL pots. It's narrow and tall so it doesn't take that much oil, usually around 3.5 - 4 gallons is plenty.

If you have never done one here are some safety tips. I'm not trying to insult you common sense but these things can be dangerous. A lot of folks suffer physical and property damage every year cooking these things.

1. Outside only. No carports, covered porches, or attached wood patios allowed. Cook on the ground or driveway away from cars or anything you don't want burnt to the ground.

2. Pre-measure the oil. Put the bird and any thing else like a fry basket that's going into the oil. Fill with water to cover the bird/appliances and remove all. Mark the water level with something. A piece of tape or a sharpie or measure with a stick. This will be the maximum oil level. You don't want to over fill or the oil will splash out and flame up and your friends will start calling you "Ol' Fireball".

3. After the oil is up to temp get the bird ready and shut off the burner. With the burner still going any hot oil that were to splash out will flame up and catch the whole pot on fire. And you too maybe.

4. Slowly add the bird. Get someone to help if necessary. I have a fry basket I use and slip a broom handle through the wire bail and get Ms. Tubercle to help. I don't like standing over 375 grease with it popping and spitting while lowering the bird. To do it safely it might take a minute or two.

5. Relight the burner.

6. Enjoy.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2009, 12:47:28 pm »
Thanks for the frying tips. Good advice.  8)
Ron Price

Offline Beertracker

• Brewer
  • ExperiFermenting since 1994!
    • Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
« Reply #33 on: November 24, 2009, 09:22:36 am »
Gonna make apple dumplings. That one is simple. Just put a cored granny smith apple with a little cinnamon and sugar and a pat of butter on it, wrapped in your best homemade pie crust and bake till golden brown.

Wow, that looks great! Not to mentioned that it sounds easy too. Thanks for the idea, as my son's will love those.  :)
CHEERS! Jeff
"A homebrewed beer is truly a superior beer." ~ "Buffalo" Bill Owens - American Brewer

Jeffrey Swearengin
Fellowship of Oklahoma Ale Makers (FOAM)
Tulsa, OK USA

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #34 on: November 25, 2009, 11:57:01 am »
Ok folks...

Ron Price

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2009, 07:44:05 pm »
Didn't want to post until I had success.  Just made one of the best turkeys I've ever tasted.  Brined in a mixture of water, salt, maple syrup, honey, fresh bay leaves, crushed black peppercorns, and ginger for 24 hours.  Made a mixture of fresh chopped rosemary and sage crushed into softened butter and spread under the skin.  Stuffed with an oyster and andouille bread stuffing.

Fantastic.  Very moist and flavorful meat.  I'd drop the sausage from the stuffing next time since it ended up being a little over the top but overall a very satisfying Thanksgiving dinner.
Clint
Wort Hogs