Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Giant Tea Ball for hops?  (Read 11480 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: Giant Tea Ball for hops?
« Reply #15 on: November 12, 2010, 11:43:49 pm »
The reusable nylon hop bags are great for adding hops to the boil. I find I can even add hops to a bag but it is hot!. The real pain is cleaning them. :-\ Beer.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #16 on: November 13, 2010, 07:40:26 am »
Anyone use one of these (http://www.amazon.com/Stainless-Locking-Strainer-Infuser-Diameter/dp/B003FCMCMO/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1287682738&sr=8-6) for hops in the boil?

Have you considered using/building a hop bag hanger? Here's a link to a semi-elaborate one but there are lots of other designs for the same thing on the web:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/hop-bag-hanger-73829/

+1  have one...use it every beer
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2010, 11:09:13 am »
I love my tea balls. I use the giant one for a single large hop addition (when I bittered my märzen with 3.2% AA Tettnanger, or when I put 4-6 oz of pellet hops in at 5 min for an IPA). I use a 3-inch one for keg hopping and for moderate hop additions in the boil. I use little ones (2") for keg hopping and for small additions. Since I mostly use whole hops, I only need the balls or hop bags when I am using more than about 1.5 ounces of pellet hops. When that does happen, I have had absolutely no problems with the stainless hop balls. the large one would be impossible to open mid-boil to add hops to since the hops expand to fill the ball no matter how many hops I put in it. I have not had a problem with AA extraction - it has always been roughly the same as when using a nylon "hop bag" or a cheesecloth peasant's purse.