Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Shiner Holiday Cheer  (Read 1821 times)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Shiner Holiday Cheer
« on: October 22, 2010, 02:55:03 am »
I've waited all year to try this.

"Brewed with Texas peaches and roasted pecans... a dark wheat ale"

Blechhhh. Gag.

Not carbonated enough. The peach flavor is very apparent but too soft and also it's weirdly sweet.  Needs more acidity- a bit more carbonation would probably go long way top helping this. Not very hoppy. Again, might have helped balance the beer out. Ughh.

Sickly sweet nose. Is that peach? Oh it smells synthetic... :-X Peach Ice-cream...?

I'm getting an astringency reminiscent of peach skin or even apricot. Nectarine? I like that.

Don't start the evening out with this. Late, after the taste-buds are blunted and exhausted. Enjoy a cigar with one or two. ::)
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Re: Shiner Holiday Cheer
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2010, 05:32:04 am »
I saw that one last year, but it was only in our area in 12 packs. I did not realize it had peaches, kinda an odd bird. I'll give it a whirl if it makes it this year, I tend to like the Shiner stuff, but pecans and peaches doesn't sound promising.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline dirk_mclargehuge

• Cellarman
    • Wort's Going On Here?
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2010, 09:10:53 am »
Not my favorite Shiner seasonal, but not too bad.  I wonder, though, how it would work in pecan pie or holiday baking?

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2010, 10:47:54 am »
Not my favorite Shiner seasonal, but not too bad.  I wonder, though, how it would work in pecan pie or holiday baking?

Was wondering about cooking with it. Have 4 bottles left. Maybe a BBQ sauce?  :D
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline euge

• I must live here
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 12:31:31 pm »
Reporting back. No on the BBQ sauce. At least the way I made it. It never made it onto any meat thankfully.