Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Comfort Food  (Read 6446 times)

Offline nicneufeld

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Comfort Food
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2009, 06:14:11 pm »
Where is baby's belly button?  Ha!  Yes, we have that book too.

Looks like good stuff.  Anything with gravy generally earns "comfort food" status in the states.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2009, 01:08:05 pm »
Here are some stuffed boneless pork chops.

You gotta make with the stuing and gravy recipe!
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline chauncey

• 1st Kit
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2009, 02:22:08 am »
Huevos Rancheros for me. My mom would fry up some eggs. Sunny side up or over easy. place them on some lightly pan fried maiz (Corn) tortillas, and smother the whole lot with warmed salsa. I am fighting myself right now. I could just whip up a batch right now.
My absolute favorite. Thanks. Now I may have to go make some, too. I usually melt a little cheese on the eggs before I take them out of the pan. Any time I am in the Southwest, I have this for breakfast every day. There are endless variations.

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2009, 09:37:26 am »
my wife makes pupusas, which is really her comfort food that has become mine. 

it's essentially masa (maseca - a corn flour dough) mixed with some oil and water and rounded into a flat pancake that is then stuffed with either cheese(we use mozzerella) or meat (pork or chicharon) or beans (usually refried consistancy).  Had some awesome ones with squash|cheese as well once.  Then cooked on a flatpan until golden brown with light browning.  They should not be dry but not be greasy either. 

topped with cortido  (which is kinda like a cabbage relish/saurecrout) vinegar/carrot/cabbage/onions/garlic/jalapenos or chil pequins) then topped with warm red salsa

with cortido it looks something like this:

Back in 1971 I was an exchange student in El Salvador and we used to buy papusas daily from street vendors.  The sons of the family I lived with would take handfuls of cortido from gallon jars and put it on the papusas, but back then it was way too spicy for me to eat.  Now I'd like to try it again.  Those pictures brought back some great memories.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2009, 09:41:01 am »
My personal favorite comfort food these days has to be posole with chunks of roasted pork shoulder and gobs of hot Artesia NM green chile.  I eat it for breakfast, lunch and dinners with fresh tortillas from the market down the street.
Of course homemade tamales are a close second-I make them with pork and red chile or chicken and green chile.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico