Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Fruit... pathetic  (Read 13718 times)

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
Re: Fruit... pathetic
« Reply #75 on: November 02, 2010, 07:41:27 am »
Blue, what are you reading Emanuel Kant?

Trevanian (Shibumi), Orwell (1984, How the Poor Die), the like.

Some pure entertainment like Chadbourn (Age of Misrule etc) and Donaldson (The Gap Cycle, Chronicles of Thomas Covenant).  Occasionally there's gems in there.  One character in Age of Misrule cites that anyone who seeks power should not be allowed to have it; while in Shibumi it's said that in American politics anyone who can get elected absolutely should not be allowed to.  Age of Misrule constantly centers around the idea that unearned knowledge is worthless (if we just give you the answers, you won't develop); Covenant at one point says unearned knowledge is dangerous.  Enlightening.

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #76 on: November 02, 2010, 09:03:57 am »
...One character in Age of Misrule cites that anyone who seeks power should not be allowed to have it; while in Shibumi it's said that in American politics anyone who can get elected absolutely should not be allowed to.  Age of Misrule constantly centers around the idea that unearned knowledge is worthless (if we just give you the answers, you won't develop); Covenant at one point says unearned knowledge is dangerous.  Enlightening....

Blue have you checked out Robert Anton Wilson? The illuminatus trilogy is a good one for digging gems from.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline bluefoxicy

• Brewer
« Reply #77 on: November 05, 2010, 10:09:11 am »

Blue have you checked out Robert Anton Wilson? The illuminatus trilogy is a good one for digging gems from.

Shibumi was actually well outside my general genre.  It was dense with humor and philosophy which I found pleasant; the story wasn't particularly palatable for me.

I'm more into fantasy.  Magic and dragons and that sort of thing.  Although The Gap Cycle is the best thing I've veer read, and it's sci-fi.