Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: A Craft Beer Epiphany in Wine Country  (Read 1584 times)

Offline mestorey

• Governing Committee / Staff
  • 1st Kit
A Craft Beer Epiphany in Wine Country
« on: October 25, 2010, 10:52:17 am »
World renowned restaurant The French Laundry was the last place Ashley Routson a.k.a. The Beer Wench expected to have a Craft Beer Epiphany, read about the mouthwatering experience at CraftBeer.com: http://bit.ly/frenchlaundry.

Where is the strangest place you've experienced craft beer nirvana? Share your story at CraftBeer.com by submitting your own Road Trip: http://www.craftbeer.com/pages/stories/road-trips or Perfect Pairing: http://www.craftbeer.com/pages/beer-and-food/perfect-pairings.

If you have any questions or problems submitting, contact meghan@brewersassociation.org.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: A Craft Beer Epiphany in Wine Country
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 11:06:35 am »
One of my dreams is to someday eat at the French Laundry.  It's good to know that good beer will be part of the experience!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2010, 01:30:01 pm »
For our anniversary this year we went to NYC.  This one had a zero in it so we splurged.  

There is a gastropub named DBGB, just down Bowery from the location of the now closed CBGB, that had some pretty good food and beer pairings.  The DB is for owner Daniel Boulud, who had the first 3 star Michelen place in NYC.

Gramercy Tavern was pretty darned good too, and they have a small but excellent tap selection.  The server really knew his beer.

We would love to go to the French Laundry.   That might be a plan for the next anniversary with a zero in it.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2010, 03:14:08 pm »
A couple of years ago I took my wife and two of our very good friends to Chez Panisse to celebrate making it through the first year of their masters degree program (My wife and one of our friends) It was lovely and a wonderful experience. I do wish they had had the option to pair the food with beer as that is a passion of mine as well although the wine was lovely.

But what I REALLY want is to find a place of French laundry/Chez Panisse quality but with some appreciation for vegetarian cooking. I have not been to the French Laundry and I think Chez Panisse might have been my over the top expensive dining experience for this decade. But I challenge anyone out there in the gourmet food/beer world to create a comparable dining experience for us vegetarians. At this rate I will have to start my own restaurant and train my own chefs just so I don't have to do the cooking all the time.

**Edit**
Okay I just looked at the tasting of vegetables menu from the French Laundry and now I want to go there. That's what I am talking about. More Truffles!
**Edit**
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 03:16:02 pm by morticaixavier »
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce