Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Refrigerator size for kegerator conversion  (Read 2747 times)

Offline steigs316

• 1st Kit
Refrigerator size for kegerator conversion
« on: October 25, 2010, 12:00:43 pm »
Hi there - I've searched on this forum for an answer to this question but have come up empty. I'm hoping some of you can help me out.

I'd like to convert a fridge into a kegerator that can comfortably hold 3 homebrew kegs + a 5lbs CO2 tank.

It seems like a standard used top-freezer refrigerator at 18.2 cu feet would be okay, but was wondering if any of you have a simliar set up and if you do what the dimensions are to comfortably fit this.

Thanks for any replies!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Refrigerator size for kegerator conversion
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 12:40:32 pm »
The best way to determine an adequate size is to dry fit the kegs and CO2 cylinder in the fridge before conversion.
There are so many different mfg's and sizes to confidently nail down a size.

I have a 7.5cf chest freezer that I am converting into a kegerator and I can comfortably fit (3) 5 gal cornies and (2) 3 gallon soda kegs plus a CO2 cylinder.
Ron Price

Offline Tim McManus

• Assistant Brewer
    • Haskell Brewing Company
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 10:54:00 pm »
Having converted three fridges the only way you'll know for sure is to bring the kegs with you.  Also don't forget that you need about 1"-3" of space beyond the top of the kegs to accommodate for the bulge in the serving and gas lines.

You may need to take the plastic moulded door panel off the door and replace it with a piece of plastic.  You'll gain several inches of space and it's easier to install faucet shafts this way.

You'll probably have to keep the crispers at the bottom of the fridge.  The compressor is usually located at the bottom-back of the fridge and this creates a bulge where the crispers are.  It's not enough space to fit three kegs, so plan on cutting a piece of plywood and placing it on top of the crispers for support.  Keep this in mind when you are measuring because you could lose 1/4" or more of space due to the plywood platform.

If you don't want to lug kegs around with you, take some cardboard and make a box the size of the keg.  Add the space you need for tubing and it should give you a pretty good visual.  Measuring could work, but you'll never know for sure until you close the door with something in the fridge.
Tim McManus
Haskell, NJ

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 12:04:28 am »
I took a cut-out with me and a tape measure. Seems like they forgot about us homebrewers when they designed these things. I fit two cornies inside my 4cf sanyo and not really any room for a tank, though plenty of wasted space.

You'll probably have to look in the 16-20cf range to manage four cornies and a tank- mainly for interior depth.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis