Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Thermometer for Rubbermaid Cooler?  (Read 7691 times)

Offline diegoprof

• 1st Kit
Thermometer for Rubbermaid Cooler?
« on: October 26, 2010, 10:35:52 am »
Hi all,

I use one of those 10 gallon orange Rubbermaid coolers for my mash tun.  Up til now, I've been using a probe thermometer to measure the temperature, but that's getting to be kind of a pain.

I'd like to install a thermometer into through the side of the cooler, like you see in most boil kettles.  Has anyone tried this?  If so, did you need anything special in terms of the thermometer?  Was the install pretty simple?

Morebeer.com sells a 6" thermometer for this purpose (http://bit.ly/bgJd7A), but warns that "Special tools and training are required to install this unit. This must be done here at the shop."  Sheesh, how hard can it be?

-Matt

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Thermometer for Rubbermaid Cooler?
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 10:37:07 am »
The problem I've found with installing a permanent thermometer is that then you only know the temp in that one place.  I prefer being able to move the thermometer around so I can make sure there's an even temp throughout my mash.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 10:45:00 am »
It can be done.... but I have to agree with Denny in that you'll find that the mash temp will vary until the temperature stabilizes. Which can only be determined by taking multiple readings throuout the mash.
Ron Price

Offline diegoprof

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 11:43:56 am »
Yeah, that's a valid point.  But I wonder how long it really takes for the temperature to become roughly equal throughout the mash?  At any rate, I just don't have a good thermometer for getting deep into the mash and moving around.  I got a probe thermometer from Thermoworks, but it turns out the probe cable isn't waterproof - bah!  And the other thermometers I have will only let me go 3-4" deep.  Plus I just don't like taking off the lid and stirring things around any more than I have to.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 11:46:42 am »
Stirring thoroughly at mash in is the key to getting even temps.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 11:57:04 am »
A long stemmed thermometer might help.

Used to obsess about the temps- they are important, but once I feel it is close enough I close the lid and walk away.

Too high and a handful of ice usually will drop it right to where I want it.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 12:02:41 pm »
One good indicator that the mash temp has stabilized is when there are no more dough balls. Once the dough balls are all incorporated, take some readings and if they are relatively close the mash temp has stabilized.

I like to see +/- a degree or two before I stop the "doughing in" process.
Ron Price

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 01:20:11 pm »
I did one through the side and it leaks a bit.
Others have recommended a long 12" thermometer through the lid.
Brew on