Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 15 gal Kettle for 5-6 gallon batches  (Read 4103 times)

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
15 gal Kettle for 5-6 gallon batches
« on: October 26, 2010, 02:00:38 am »
I'm looking to bump up to 10 gallon batches, at least some of the time. I currently use am 8 gallon megapot, and it's only barely acceptable for 5-6 gallon batches, to begin with. I am wondering if I should get a 15 gallon kettle (that would allow me to bump up to 10 gallon batches), but I don't want to spend the cash if I will only be able to use it for 8-12 gallon batches and not 5-6 gallon batches. Is it a PITA to brew 5-6 gallon batches with a 15 gallon kettle?

Offline stlaleman

• Assistant Brewer
    • Penrose Picobrewery
Re: 15 gal Kettle for 5-6 gallon batches
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 02:57:38 am »
I do it all the time. No issues, no worries about boil overs either.

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 07:33:43 am »
The only downside I've experienced is a little more boil off due to the larger diameter of the pot.  To be honest, if I had it to do over, I would buy a 20 gallon pot. I've had to use another pot a few times due to the larger initial volume for long boils. Not a big deal. Just an inconvenience. Cheers!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 07:33:56 am »

+1

I use 15 gallon kettles for both 5 and 10 gallon batches.  I have also made 12 gallon batches using the 15 gal kettle.
Ron Price

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 09:31:34 am »
no worries about boil overs either.

That's what I thought the first time I used one.  I was quickly proven wrong!   ;)
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 11:29:03 am »
I'm looking to bump up to 10 gallon batches, at least some of the time. I currently use am 8 gallon megapot, and it's only barely acceptable for 5-6 gallon batches, to begin with. I am wondering if I should get a 15 gallon kettle (that would allow me to bump up to 10 gallon batches), but I don't want to spend the cash if I will only be able to use it for 8-12 gallon batches and not 5-6 gallon batches. Is it a PITA to brew 5-6 gallon batches with a 15 gallon kettle?

I think 15 gallon is perfect for those 5-6 gallon batches. And 20 gallons would be better for 10....
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2010, 12:24:56 pm »
It looks like I can get a 15 gal megapot for a little under $230 (including shipping), and that's the best deal I could find. Any reason why I shouldn't get it?

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #7 on: October 26, 2010, 12:59:51 pm »
If you don't mind Aluminum you can find for half that or less.

As far as pulling the trigger:

Dooooo it... You'll be pleased with the performance.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #8 on: October 26, 2010, 01:11:36 pm »

+1...my homemade electric keggle is 15 gal, and the majority of my batches have been 5 gal.
No worries.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline stlaleman

• Assistant Brewer
    • Penrose Picobrewery
« Reply #9 on: October 26, 2010, 01:16:54 pm »
If you can do without a lid, the Penrose Kettle is 16+ gallon, stainless, 14 gauge, with a half inch ball valve for only 139.99 which includes shipping to the lower 48 states. Details email me at dpenrose at essexind dot com

Offline Hokerer

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Manassas, VA
« Reply #10 on: October 26, 2010, 01:59:31 pm »
It looks like I can get a 15 gal megapot for a little under $230 (including shipping), and that's the best deal I could find. Any reason why I shouldn't get it?

Seen folks on here recommend this site before.  Looks like ~$140 plus shipping...

http://www.instawares.com/stainless-steel-stock-pot-sps-60.upi-sps60.0.7.htm
Joe