Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Horesradish Root  (Read 3821 times)

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
Horesradish Root
« on: November 13, 2009, 04:15:04 pm »
Since it came up in the Oyster Stout post I thought I would make an ingredient post on the subject.

I have brewed a beer using Horesradish Root (peeled).
I prepped the root by peeling and slicing paper thin using a razor blade.
Seems like it was on the order of 1/4 to 1/3 cup of root slices.
I then covered them in a pint canning jar with Everclear for a week long soak.
The everclear tincture was added to the Secondary.
There was some heat derived from the root in the venue of peppery/radish heat style.
Taste of the beer at the last sampling was a forward note of Turnip root.

So If you like sliced turnips this beer ingredient is for you.
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline wilypig

• Cellarman
Re: Horesradish Root
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 10:58:00 am »
It sounds like something I would make just to torment the local competition staff in the SHV and specialty categories. A very good way to never have to judge them.
If you can make mac and cheese from a box, you can make great beer.
Weiz Guys Homebrew club Loveland CO
Wilypig Fermentation Specialties

Offline mariojr

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 07:12:54 pm »
I love fresh Horseradish.  My grandfather grew it in his garden and would grind it when it was ready.  It would almost make the house unbearable to be in during that time, but the buzz from the finished product was unbelievable!  My brother now lives in the house and the root is still there.  Every Thanksgiving he brings some down to NC to grind and it is such a happy time.  Just thought I'd share since I have had a few pints! :)

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 05:55:12 pm »
I love fresh Horseradish.  My grandfather grew it in his garden and would grind it when it was ready.  It would almost make the house unbearable to be in during that time, but the buzz from the finished product was unbelievable!  My brother now lives in the house and the root is still there.  Every Thanksgiving he brings some down to NC to grind and it is such a happy time.  Just thought I'd share since I have had a few pints! :)
Horseradish traditions.  I Love it!!!  I have some growing in my garden that originated from my great grandfather's garden. Who knows where it came from before then?  Every time I grind it I think about the heritage.  It does feel good!  :)
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!