Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: DC's Rye IPA fermentation schedule  (Read 3532 times)

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
DC's Rye IPA fermentation schedule
« on: October 26, 2010, 06:28:10 pm »
What is the recommended fermentation schedule for this beer? Brewed it Fri and just happened to look at NB's kit for this beer and it recommends 1-2 wks. primary, 4 wks. secondary, dry hopping 1 wk. before packaging. I'd assume this is correct if Denny consulted on this. 10g on the line, so I want to be sure. Thanks.
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
Re: DC's Rye IPA fermentation schedule
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 06:53:19 am »
Same as any other beer.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 07:42:44 am »
Which yeast did you use?

Depending on the yeast, estimate the attenuation and then let your gravity be your guide.  Once the gravity settles out, rack to the keg or bottle.
Ron Price

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 09:08:20 am »
Same as any other beer.

Now we know why you dropped the Brewmaster...  ;D

Which yeast did you use?

Depending on the yeast, estimate the attenuation and then let your gravity be your guide.  Once the gravity settles out, rack to the keg or bottle.

US-05. I was going to ferment the "same as any other beer", but when I ran across those directions I thought maybe something different was in order to get the intended character. I normally ferment to TG, rack, and dry hop for 2 wks. I like to do a recipe as is, then tweak(if needed) on subsequent batches, so I am looking to set a baseline. I know, I know, should've used 1450 for that but am on a dry yeast kick.  ;)
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 09:22:19 am »
US-05. I was going to ferment the "same as any other beer", but when I ran across those directions I thought maybe something different was in order to get the intended character. I normally ferment to TG, rack, and dry hop for 2 wks. I like to do a recipe as is, then tweak(if needed) on subsequent batches, so I am looking to set a baseline. I know, I know, should've used 1450 for that but am on a dry yeast kick.  ;)

With 05, I usually go 2-3 weeks primary, then keg with the dry hops.  But I really don't decide by the calendar...I decide by how the beer is doing. I decide whether or not to use a secondary on a case by case basis.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 09:39:32 am »
With 05, I usually go 2-3 weeks primary, then keg with the dry hops.  But I really don't decide by the calendar...I decide by how the beer is doing. I decide whether or not to use a secondary on a case by case basis.
Do you put the dry hops in something Denny, or do you just toss them in?  Do you rack after a time or do you just drink it until it's gone?

I dry hop in the carboy, then rack to the keg after a time.  Just curious how your process differs.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 09:41:46 am »
Thanks for the input, Denny. Nothing like getting it straight from the tap! Happy brewing to all!  8)

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 09:53:34 am »
Do you put the dry hops in something Denny, or do you just toss them in?  Do you rack after a time or do you just drink it until it's gone?

I dry hop in the carboy, then rack to the keg after a time.  Just curious how your process differs.

I put the hops in a bag.  I tie the bag to the diptube with monofilament in case I want to remove it, although that's never happened!  I leave them in there until the keg is gone.  Sometimes, depending on nothing more than my mood, I'll rack to a secondary, dry hop that, then add more dry hops to the keg, too.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 09:57:50 am »

I put the hops in a bag.  I tie the bag to the diptube with monofilament in case I want to remove it, although that's never happened!  I leave them in there until the keg is gone.  Sometimes, depending on nothing more than my mood, I'll rack to a secondary, dry hop that, then add more dry hops to the keg, too.

Now we're getting to bottom of it!  ;)

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2010, 10:08:15 am »

How long does a keg last around your place?  Weeks?  Months?  Hours?  Seconds?
Tom Schmidlin

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2010, 10:33:34 am »
Same as any other beer.

Now we know why you dropped the Brewmaster...  ;D

Which yeast did you use?

Depending on the yeast, estimate the attenuation and then let your gravity be your guide.  Once the gravity settles out, rack to the keg or bottle.

US-05. I was going to ferment the "same as any other beer", but when I ran across those directions I thought maybe something different was in order to get the intended character. I normally ferment to TG, rack, and dry hop for 2 wks. I like to do a recipe as is, then tweak(if needed) on subsequent batches, so I am looking to set a baseline. I know, I know, should've used 1450 for that but am on a dry yeast kick.  ;)

You don't need a schedule, you let the beer decide. It doesn't take a brewmaster or even an assistant brewer to know that. :D
« Last Edit: October 27, 2010, 10:36:47 am by Mikey »

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2010, 11:01:17 am »

2-3 months on average.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2010, 11:55:02 am »

2-3 months on average.
Interesting, that's good to know.  I typically only dry hop for 2 weeks at most, then rack.  Maybe I'll try it in the keg next time. :)
Tom Schmidlin