Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

Do the pubs in your area have consistent offerings of Cask Ale?

Yes; but I never partake
Yes; Cask Ale is something I consume regularly
None offered in my area
What's a Cask Ale?

Author Topic: Cask Ale vs Alcopop  (Read 6741 times)

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
Re: Cask Ale vs Alcopop
« Reply #30 on: October 28, 2010, 06:33:15 am »
I live in the UK. Cask beer is everywhere. Some of it is truly outstanding, while there is bad beer in casks too.

CAMRA continues to hold the line that real ale may only be served without the use of CO2, via gravity or hand pump.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #31 on: October 28, 2010, 06:40:10 am »
I voted that I consume cask beer regularly because whenever I encounter it, I'll almost always have a cask beer over other offerings.  There are some really good brewpubs in the Twin Cities that offer cask beer regularly.  When I lived in Nashville (1997-2005), I would regularly get Boscos or Blackstone cask beer when it was available.

As a side note, cask beer doesn't impart a woody flavor -- it's not like the beer is barrel aged.  It's typically very fresh beer that's naturally carbonated in the cask and then hand pulled via a beer engine.  Cask beer is typically served in the mid-50s and has lower carbonation.  Also, some beer engines are equipped with "sparklers" which is a fitting that goes on the tip of the faucet that infuses the beer with atmosphere as its drawn, thus creating that neat cascading bubble effect.

It's only 7:40 a.m. and now I'm wanting a cask beer.   ;D
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #32 on: October 28, 2010, 08:00:44 am »
I've just run across cask ale once at a chain brewpub in Ft. Collins last year and was pretty unimpressed.  But I doubt that was really decent stuff to begin with so I'll look for it and try it again somewhere else before I make up my mind.

Besides a brewpub 45 miles away there are no options around here.  The previous brewer loved homebrewers, taught homebrewing classes and sold us ingredients.  The current brewer never homebrewed so we're just a pain in his ass and he won't sell anything to us.  Really sucks that after 10 years I have to find another cheap source of malt.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #33 on: October 28, 2010, 12:39:48 pm »
I couldn't really answer the poll. There's cask beer in the Chicago area but I don't get to consume it regularly >:( It's mostly in pubs on the North Side and I live in a southern 'burb. A pint pulled off a cask is a wonderful thing and I always go for that if it's an option. I've even gotten my wife interested. Her favorite beer on our last trip to England was a pint of Fuller's Porter from a cask.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

jaybeerman

« Reply #34 on: October 28, 2010, 12:48:29 pm »
I couldn't really answer the poll. There's cask beer in the Chicago area but I don't get to consume it regularly >:( It's mostly in pubs on the North Side and I live in a southern 'burb. A pint pulled off a cask is a wonderful thing and I always go for that if it's an option. I've even gotten my wife interested. Her favorite beer on our last trip to England was a pint of Fuller's Porter from a cask.

Put your vote towards the "regular consumption" because it's in your general vicinity and you're not opposed to drinking it.

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #35 on: October 28, 2010, 12:49:05 pm »
Her favorite beer on our last trip to England was a pint of Fuller's Porter from a cask.

Lucky woman. That's only available on cask for a very short window a couple of times every year. It is a great beer though, and I have a great clone recipe for it.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

jaybeerman

« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2010, 12:55:43 pm »
I live in the UK. Cask beer is everywhere. Some of it is truly outstanding, while there is bad beer in casks too.

CAMRA continues to hold the line that real ale may only be served without the use of CO2, via gravity or hand pump.

I'd love the opportunity to pick and choose between good and bad cask ale.  It's going to be a while before the US is ready to live up to CAMRA.

jaybeerman

« Reply #37 on: October 28, 2010, 01:12:12 pm »

It's only 7:40 a.m. and now I'm wanting a cask beer.   ;D

Welcome to my life  ;D

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #38 on: October 28, 2010, 01:32:36 pm »

I'd love the opportunity to pick and choose between good and bad cask ale.  It's going to be a while before the US is ready to live up to CAMRA.
I've made a couple of driving trips through England, Scotland and Wales with the then-current editions of CAMRA's The Good Beer Guide.  You can basically plan the whole trip around cask ales and have a great time.  Even my wife, who doesn't drink beer, enjoyed the pubs we found.  Chances are good that if they have fresh cask ale they also pay attention to the food.
You can quickly get used to beer that's not fizzy and ice cold.
One of the best beers I ever had was Fullers London Pride on cask somewhere near the brewery.
Now I'm getting thirsty.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995