Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: favorite bourbons  (Read 10645 times)

Offline thirsty

• Brewer
  • Brewster, NY
Re: favorite bourbons
« Reply #30 on: November 25, 2009, 08:27:55 am »
I just mentioned this in another thread, but cheap bourbon is frequently just as good or better than the expensive stuff. Here's a list of some.

Old Fitzgerald
Cabin Still
Rebel Yell
Ancient Age
Old Grandad
Old Crow
Old Forester
George Dickel 8

I use Heaven Hill as my standard house bourbon.

Slightly more expensive but still a great value (depends on the store)

Elija Craig 12 year old
 Fighting Cock
 George Dickel#12
 Knob Creek 9 year
 Elmer T. Lee
 Old Whiskey River
 Old Weller Old Antique
 Virginia Gentleman
 Buffalo Trace
 Eagle Rare 10 year old

Offline pashusa

• Cellarman
« Reply #31 on: November 25, 2009, 06:52:10 pm »
I like Jim Beam as a rule. Have drank a barrel or two in my day. If I'm in "a mood", I will prefer the Kickin' Chicken (Wild Turkey). I apreciate Knob Creek as a gift.
I wasn't even in town that day, I swear.

Offline loopy

• Brewer
« Reply #32 on: November 25, 2009, 07:21:59 pm »
Anyone try Red Stag yet? It's made my Jim Beam. A cherry infused bourbon. Add a little ice and you have a Manhattan.

Thanks for the headsup on this one valorian.  I had to look at the liquor store, it wasnt with the bourbons but was on an endcap in a display.  really good substitute for a manhattan as you said, I then tried making my regular version using this as a bourbon.  I think it is better standalone with ice just as you said.  Thanks again, nice find. 

Offline captain_sousie

• Cellarman
  • I am the Stig's Fat American Cousin
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2009, 10:26:54 am »
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned rip van winkle yet. If I'm not mistaken that is a bourbon and in my mind it's one of the best.
Eagles may soar but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Offline jds

• 1st Kit
  • Enginerd, Dad, Homebrewer
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2009, 08:42:14 am »
I do love a good bourbon, and like several others have said, with Bourbon, price does not equal quality.

At the low end, I like Ancient Age and Evan Williams black label. Both are a good value, go nicely with a couple of ice cubes and a splash of water, and don't make you cringe if guests mix it with Coke.

The midrange stuff I like includes Ancient Ancient Age (yes, two ancients), Jim Beam, and Wild Turkey 101.

Of the pricey stuff, I like Buffalo Trace, George T. Stagg, Blanton's, Bulleit, and Stranahan's.

Strangely, I find Woodford Reserve to be overpriced. It's not that it's bad bourbon, I just don't find it to be worth what the local liquor stores or restaurants charge for it.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2009, 07:30:43 pm »
Woodford Reserve has gone down in quality since it was released. It is still a great bourbon but honestly I don't think it is much better than Maker's Mark now. When it first became popular it was fantastic. I think I first tried it in 1996 and I was blown away by how fantastic it was. It doesn't really even remind me of the same bourbon now.

Offline weazletoe

• Brewmaster General
  • Howland, Ohio
« Reply #36 on: November 28, 2009, 10:35:54 pm »
No one has mentioned Dan Tucker yet.

And I hope no one does.  :-\
A man works hard all week, so he doesn't have to wear pants all weekend.

Offline chauncey

• 1st Kit
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2009, 11:01:33 am »
I just recently discovered Elijah Craig and was shocked to find that it could be so head and shoulders above anything else I have ever had. I sip my bourbon at room temperature, so that may be a factor. But, its my current personal favorite bourbon.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2009, 06:48:34 pm »
I like EC but I would hesitate it to call it "head and shoulder's" above anything you have ever had. Unless you just haven't had much.  :P

Offline chauncey

• 1st Kit
« Reply #39 on: November 29, 2009, 08:04:05 pm »
I like EC but I would hesitate it to call it "head and shoulder's" above anything you have ever had. Unless you just haven't had much.  :P
I should have qualified that as "for me".  I actually have tasted a lot of bourbons, but -- for me -- there is something hugely special about EC. I'm no expert, and can't quantify difference in terms of ingredients, or process, but there is no denying my personal preference for it, even in many side-by-side comparisons with other top-of-the-line bourbons. Maybe it just sparks up a reaction in my genes, my grandfather (the real Chauncey) having hailed from the heart of bourbon country. There are a lot of fine products out there, and one of the joys of bourbon is sampling all the variations. I definitely encourage everyone to diligently pursue their own personal favorite. It's a hell of a ride.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2009, 05:12:06 am »
I like it and buy it sometimes and it is a decent bourbon, especially for the price.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2009, 10:24:58 am »
Too many bourbons...too little money. 8)
Ron Price

Offline loopy

• Brewer
« Reply #42 on: November 30, 2009, 04:56:47 pm »
I just recently discovered Elijah Craig and was shocked to find that it could be so head and shoulders above anything else I have ever had. I sip my bourbon at room temperature, so that may be a factor. But, its my current personal favorite bourbon.

I guess I am going to try this one again.  I have had it before but did not personally find much about it compelling as a must have.  It was not bad, but there are plenty of highbrow bourbons these days and I just found elijahcraig to be so-so.  I did try eagle rare on somones reco from the NB board and found it not anywhere as good as others may have.  Honestly, I placed it in the old crow / granddad bourbon from the bottom shelf.  burns hot and watery - sureley much is personal taste, and perhaps mood and taste buds of the week during consumption.  I continue to have my favorites, never had a knobcreek I didnt like for sure. 

Maybe I need to forget everything I *think* I know about bourbon and try to rediscover the entire lineup again. 

tough job, but I guess it's the only way to be sure.