Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: my first brew!  (Read 2556 times)

Offline icedbreeze

• 1st Kit
my first brew!
« on: October 27, 2010, 03:08:44 pm »
Hey everyone, you may or may not remember my post a week or so ago regarding cooling my wort.  Well I brewed up my very first batch last night and it cooled very quickly.. (about 10 minuets). 
My next question is... my beer/wort (not sure what we call it now) hasn't shown much foaming action in my carboy.  My airlock is bubbling once every 17-18 seconds.  Is this something I should worry about?  It's been about 19 hours since I pitched my yeast.  Oh and the room temperature is right around 70 degrees F.  I included a picture.

boulderbrewer

Re: my first brew!
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2010, 03:10:40 pm »
Looks like it is fine. Congrats.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2010, 03:18:58 pm »
Congrats on the first beer.  Looks okay.  Let it ferment for a week or two then check the gravity and report back.

Ron Price

Offline icedbreeze

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2010, 03:22:47 pm »
Thanks guys  :).  I was just a little worried.  From what I read it sounded like there would be a lot more foaming action that what I have going on.  I can't wait to brew my next batch and I haven't even tasted this one yet lol

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2010, 03:26:11 pm »
What recipe did you use? yeast? pitching temp? etc..
Ron Price

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2010, 03:27:06 pm »
Actually, that does look like a pretty sedate fermentation for that warm a room temp.  What kind of yeast is it?
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline icedbreeze

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 03:30:40 pm »
The yeast I'm using came in a kit, if I'm reading the package right its "safale US-05" the company is "Fermentis"
My wort was around 65 degrees at time of pitching.  The instructions I had said to pitch the dry yeast into the carboy and agitate.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2010, 03:34:36 pm »
It's only been 19 hours, don't worry about it.  It just needs more time.  If you want it to taste the best it can, figure out some way to keep it cooler.  70F is a max IMO, if you can get it under 68F that's even better.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2010, 03:36:46 pm »
It's only been 19 hours, don't worry about it.  It just needs more time.  If you want it to taste the best it can, figure out some way to keep it cooler.  70F is a max IMO, if you can get it under 68F that's even better.

+1

I think you're doing pretty good so far.

RDWHAHB

and BTW Welcome to the AHA Forum.  8)
Ron Price

Offline icedbreeze

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2010, 08:05:23 am »
hey guys, thanks for all the encouragement!  It's been about 38 hours now and there is much more activity :)  i'll probably post again in week or so before bottling! :D 

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2010, 11:38:18 am »
In my experience, us-05 is a slow starter. It will pick up (sounds like it already has). Congrats -- you made beer!
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2010, 12:35:27 pm »
hey guys, thanks for all the encouragement!  It's been about 38 hours now and there is much more activity :)  i'll probably post again in week or so before bottling! :D 

Congrats on the first beer! The bulk of the fermentation will be done in just a few days. A total of 10-14 days in primary is good. Some advise even more- like 3 weeks to a month. It all depends on what you're brewing and other factors.

Oh, be sure to cover your carboy or put it away from the light- especially sunlight! Light exposure can skunk your brew!

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline icedbreeze

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2010, 02:51:52 pm »

Congrats on the first beer! The bulk of the fermentation will be done in just a few days. A total of 10-14 days in primary is good. Some advise even more- like 3 weeks to a month. It all depends on what you're brewing and other factors.

Oh, be sure to cover your carboy or put it away from the light- especially sunlight! Light exposure can skunk your brew!

I just wrapped my carboy up in the box it came in to avoid the artificial light.  It's fermenting in my basement with no sunlight.  Do you think a day or so of having some artificial light on my brew will skunk it? 

On a lighter note.. I bought another carboy today from my local homebrew supply store for when I make the switch to lagers and secondary fermentation.  I'm glad I found it a few towns over.  This way I wont have to order tons of stuff online :P

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2010, 11:17:32 pm »
Info only, your beer is probably not skunked.  But we ran a test using 2 glasses of an apa
I  brewed....put one glass out in the sunlight for 10 mins!!! did a side by side taste and
it had already skunked by that time. It does NOT take very long at all for that to happen.

Welcome to your newest obsession and the forum.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2010, 09:10:14 am by 1vertical »
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline maxieboy

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Mid MI
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2010, 09:08:21 am »
Info only, your beer is probably not skunked.  But we ran a test using 2 glasses of an apa
I  brewed....put one glass out in the sunlight for 10 mins!!! did a side by side taste and
it had already skunded by that time. It does NOT take very long at all for that to happen.

Welcome to your newest obsession and the forum.

Yeah, it can happen fast. Hopefully not in this case. Good luck and get that next batch brewed ASAP!
A dog can show you more honest affection with a flick of his tail than a man can gather through a lifetime of handshakes." Gene Hill

[47.7, 310.8] AR

AHA Member