Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ph question for IPA recipe  (Read 19655 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Ph question for IPA recipe
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2010, 09:46:54 am »
This brings up that high degree of fermentability for Rahr 2-row that I brought up recently.  A brewer here in Indy reports that he tends to get the same high degree of fermentability when using this base malt, regardless of the mashing temperature.  He says he controls the fermentability of the wort by adjusting the percentage of crystal and less fermentable grains in the grist.

Hmm...

As I posted when you first brought that up, I haven't experienced that and I use Rahr almost exclusively.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2010, 04:25:43 pm »
As I posted when you first brought that up, I haven't experienced that and I use Rahr almost exclusively.

+1

I use Rahr 2-row almost exclusively too. I haven't noticed it being any more or less responsive to mash temp as far as its fermentability.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline skyler

• Brewmaster
  • Hmm. Human music. I like it.
« Reply #32 on: November 06, 2010, 02:21:14 am »
What kind of hops are you using? One possible issue could be hop choice (beta acids and co-humulone and other things I barely understand). If you are looking for a more aggressive bitterness, try bittering with chinook or ctz. If your beer was a Simcoe/Amarillo/Citra IPA, it would probably be a lot more smooth and less noticeably bitter than the same IBU's with lower co-humulone hops. I also find noble hops produce a fairly sturdy bitterness when used excessively early in the boil.