Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ring around the collar in fermenter  (Read 2828 times)

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
Ring around the collar in fermenter
« on: October 26, 2010, 12:02:29 pm »
After soaking the fermenters in PBW solution and emptying out the yeast and hops, I'm left with a very pale yellowish "ring around the collar" immediately above the beer level.  I'm able to remove the ring with a spray wand, but it is hard to see if any of it is left behind.  Is the ring around the collar hop oils?  How important is it to remove it? RDWHAHB? 

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Ring around the collar in fermenter
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2010, 12:06:08 pm »
I don't think I'd worry about it.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 12:17:16 pm »
I don't think I'd worry about it.

+1

This is a common condition that occurs from the krausen scum layer staining the fermenter.
I haven't experienced any problems from it.

I wash the fermenters with a mild soap and hot water after each use and then sanitize prior to the next fermentation. This practice has not let me down yet.  If the fermenter becomes grossly stained, I would replace it.
Ron Price

Offline kramerog

• Brewmaster General
    • My LinkedIn page
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 12:44:25 pm »

This is a common condition that occurs from the krausen scum layer staining the fermenter.
I haven't experienced any problems from it.

I used to think it was a stain, but it is a thin layer that I can see peeling off under the force of a spray wand.  I'm inclined not to worry about it as I have brewed a long time without worrying about it.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 01:09:46 pm »
After soaking the fermenters in PBW solution and emptying out the yeast and hops, I'm left with a very pale yellowish "ring around the collar" immediately above the beer level.  I'm able to remove the ring with a spray wand, but it is hard to see if any of it is left behind.  Is the ring around the collar hop oils?  How important is it to remove it? RDWHAHB? 

I'm assuming they're plastic buckets. Mine have been stained yellowish for a while now- they get that way after the first fermentation. I use oxyclean and a soft cheese cloth type material to remove any left over particulate. The hardest part is the "ring". Otherwise nothing to worry about as long as it is clean and replacing isn't necessary unless the plastic is deeply scratched or damaged somehow.

I think it's the hop oils and the acidic environment causing it. Presumably, the more hops one uses the worse it gets. RDWHAHB
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 03:16:38 pm »
A chlorine bleach solution will get it out.

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2010, 02:30:31 pm »
If you're talking about glass fermenters, use CLR & hot water...Soak overnight...Rinse well & it should be gone.
I run into this fairly often.