Other than Brewing > All Things Food

Sous-vide

<< < (3/3)

tygo:
That looks delicious Euge.  Nice presentation.

euge:
Thank-you! Also did a select-grade 1" NY strip for 3 hours at 130F a couple days ago. Then 30 seconds each side in a hot pan.

The result was a perfect mid-rare that had a demarcated 1mm rim of well-done and a bit of color. Normally I'm unable to be that complementary of select steak except that this was quite unlike something done in a pan or on a grill. The texture was firmer, somewhat more tender than one done by a regular method. Not fibrous at all like I expected it to be. Still a select-steak though.

Still it was very lean- even for a strip. And fat behaves differently with SV cooking though I believe this applies at the shorter end of the spectrum of cooking time. Overall, it was a select grade steak that was somewhat better. Maybe that can be improved, but I'm thinking not by much.

dannyjed:
wow, you are makin' me hungry. :P

PeckerWood:
I have a food saver and just saw this food scientist on tv a few weeks ago showing how to do this, and those steaks look amazing. I'll have to give it a whirl. Anybody know the name of the cookbook? He has a large book-set for science and also a home-type cookbook that anyone can use.

phillamb168:

--- Quote from: PeckerWood on December 22, 2012, 08:44:19 AM ---I have a food saver and just saw this food scientist on tv a few weeks ago showing how to do this, and those steaks look amazing. I'll have to give it a whirl. Anybody know the name of the cookbook? He has a large book-set for science and also a home-type cookbook that anyone can use.

--- End quote ---

Nathan Myhrvold maybe? He did Modernist Cuisine and Modernest Cuisine at Home. The former is a hefty tome and costs ~$500, the latter a smaller more reasonable priced edition.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version