Other than Brewing > All Things Food

<< < (2/3) > >>

this looks very interesting, I want to find out more.

a word of caution though, here's the last section from Wikipedia entry on sous-vide ......

Clostridium botulinum bacteria can grow in food in the absence of oxygen and produce the deadly botulinum toxin, so sous-vide cooking must be performed under carefully controlled conditions to avoid botulism poisoning.[16] Generally speaking, food that is heated and served within four hours is considered safe, but meat that is cooked for longer to tenderize must reach a temperature of at least 131 °F (55 °C) within four hours and then be kept there, in order to pasteurize the meat. Pasteurization kills the botulism bacteria, but the possibility of hardy botulism spores surviving and reactivating once cool remains a concern as with many preserved foods, however processed. For that reason, Baldwin's treatise specifies precise chilling requirements for "cook-chill", so that the botulism spores do not have the opportunity to grow or propagate.

Extra precautions need to be taken for food to be eaten by people with compromised immunity. Pregnant women may choose to be more careful than usual.

Safety is a function of both time and temperature; a temperature usually considered insufficient to render food safe may be perfectly safe if maintained for long enough[4].

You run the risk of botulinum, etc every time you cook meat to medium rare no matter HOW you cook it. These are standard USDA guidelines, they put them out there because if they didn't some idiot would try sous vide with a ziplock and some grocery store chuck and let it set for three days. It's just like beer: respect the process, keep everything super clean, and you will have no problems.

With sous vide in general the key thing is to not let it go on forever, because then you've basically got a petri dish in a bag. A couple hours (the time it usually takes to cook something) is not going to hurt you. However, it should be noted that I never, ever, ever do this with grocery store meat or anything that seems iffy, because You Never Know. If you've got a reliable butcher, you should be fine.

--- Quote from: euge on October 29, 2010, 12:02:11 AM ---We got the vacuum sealers. Anyone with experience doing sous-vide?

--- End quote ---

Also, here's the PID I use:

Hook it up to a rice cooker and you're set.

Arise ye old thread!

I recently found an inexpensive doodad: the SideKIC Kitchen Immersion Circulator for about $170.

It sells out quick so if you are interested keep checking- don't worry they are still available. Took me about 5 days to finally land one. Ordered it Thanksgiving morning and had it by 11/30.

I found out about it from this forum http://forums.egullet.org/topic/141796-anyone-heard-of-the-sidekic-cheap-sous-vide-circulator/page__hl__%20sidekic

Have to say it is an amazing little device- sure I already have all the equipment to make one on a larger scale if some of my brewing equipment were arranged differently but don't wanna fock with that. This device is perfect and extremely easy to use. Currently I am using my 2 gallon mashtun as the reservoir.

Test run was some of Ruhlman's Charcuterie's fresh garlic sausage master recipe (previously frozen) done 2 hours @150F and then crisped up with a heat gun going @1100F. Turned out quite nice though next time I'll skip the crisping... Served with David Chang's Momofuku roasted Brussels sprouts tossed with fish-sauce vinaigrette and home-ground coarse mustard on the side. Not shown is some Vietnamese garlic sausage from the local Asian-mart done in its own package.

Tonight I'm doing a lamb rib-chop @135F for 3 hours. Will quickly sear in a hot pan and serve with steamed Brussels sprouts and Feijoada-rice. Sorry it's in progress so no pics yet- might post some later.

I think this is going to be a lot of fun and plan to do some pork spareribs which will probably take about 36 hours...

Ripe tomatoes from the garden macerated with balsamic, olive oil, minced red onion and garlic from this past Spring with home fermented jalapeño sauce and dried lemon-basil. Plated with Gorgonzola and house-cured pancetta.

Nothing to do with SV but the salad nonetheless.

Last night I dusted the chop with fine salt and fresh-cracked pepper then sealed for a rest in the fridge. The chop after three hours in the bath:

The lamb rib-chop was done SV @135F for 3 hours then quick-seared 30 seconds each side in olive-oil. Served with feijoada-rice and steamed Brussels sprouts tossed in a tomato-mustard vinaigrette based on the prior salad.

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version