Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Spicy Black Bean Soup Recipes?  (Read 3211 times)

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
Spicy Black Bean Soup Recipes?
« on: November 05, 2010, 06:51:06 am »
Our brew club meeting is tomorrow night. We begin our meetings with a pot-luck dinner. As it's going to be chilly here in N. Fl this weekend, I thought a spicy black bean soup might be just the thing. I'm giving a presentation on Black IPA's for the meeting, and I think it'd pair well with black bean soup. I've never made a black bean soup before, so I'd appreciate any good recipe help. Doesn't have to be spicy  - I can handle spicing it up if necessary.

It's only appropriate that I get a little help from my friends with the soup. Definately got some help on the beers for the presentation. We don't have much choice on the 'new' style here..... Stone Sublimely Self Rightous & Southern Tier Iniquity were the only examples I could get locally. So I reached out to a few friends to ship me some examples. Huge thanks to Denny & Drew! With their help, the local available examples, a couple of homebrewed examples (mine & two others), we'll have 7-8 to try & compare. I'm doing the presentation to get a better handle on the style for myself, and thought I'd share that with our club members.

Seems like black bean soup just might make a kick ass food/beer pairing, but I need your help...... thanks!!
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
Re: Spicy Black Bean Soup Recipes?
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2010, 09:01:11 am »
When I make black bean soup is is pretty basic

carrots/onions/celery/garlic minced and sauteed (Put the garlic in just before yo uare done so it doesn't burn and get bitter)
Black beans (if dry, which I prefer, simmer until skins split and they are ediblely soft in plain water. I suppose you could use stock but only if there is NO SALT)
maybe some sweet or mild red peppers (These could be roasted on the gas burner or under the broiler to remove the skin and concentrate flavor)
corn (My favorite is to roast the corn on the cob under the broiler but you can use frozen and roast it under the broiler. Either way don't spare the olive oil)
stock (I use homemade veg but I am sure chicken would work as well)
salt and pepper, chili powder, cumin and coriander to taste I sometimes use chili flakes to bump the spice up, or roasted jalepenos or a can of the smoked jalepenos in adobo)

either mix in sour cream (crema, creme fresh, yogurt) right before serving or add a dolop on top
guac and minced cilatro, maybe a little chopped tomato as garnish

not really a recipe per say more guidelines
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2010, 03:38:45 pm »
I like Carolina Beef -n- Black Bean. I dont think it is usually made spicy though. But its awesome.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 12:18:46 pm »
However you make the BB soup I find it is important not to make a gloppy stoup. Should be on the thinner side IMO. I find it beneficial with bean soup to remove half the solids and puree what's left in the pot with a stick blender. Then the solids go back in. The texture should be smooth overall, but not overly thick consistency.

A sour cream garnish from a squeeze bottle makes a nice addition to BB soup along with some spicy pico de gallo.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline tumarkin

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 12:37:25 pm »
Well, it's on the stove cooling as I write this. I looked at some recipes online and just kinda winged it, and what the hell... it came out really good. Actually not much of a surprise as it's pretty simple. I think that various versions would be different, but probably all good. I spiced it up with a bit of minced jalapeno, flaked red pepper, and some tabasco chipotle hot sauce. Didn't make it too hot since not everyone appreciates that as much as I do. You can always heat it up with a bit more hot sauce.

I'm going to serve it with a side dish of a mix of some yogurt, light sour cream, & lime juice. First, I'll zest the lime so I can sprinkle the zest on top of the mixture.

I made the soup with no meat since the host of the meeting is going to be providing a mix of home smoked meats as the basis for the pot luck. We've got a few vegetarians in the club, and the rest of us can add some smoked meat as desired. I know I will.

Anyhow, thanks for the suggestions.
Mark Tumarkin
Hogtown Brewers
Gainesville, FL

Offline Pawtucket Patriot

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Rebelling against cheap swill since 2005
    • Bauhaus Brew Labs
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2010, 12:48:14 pm »
Y'know what's a really good black bean soup garnish?  Bacon.  Just fry some and cut it into bits.  Adds a nice smoky flavor and some crunch.
Matt Schwandt | Minneapolis, MN
AHA Member

Partial-Mash Pictorial
All-Grain Pictorial

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #6 on: November 06, 2010, 12:50:03 pm »
I like Carolina Beef -n- Black Bean. I dont think it is usually made spicy though. But its awesome.

Anything Carolina is awesome ;D

I like mine with just onion and a smoked ham hock. Keep it simple.
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee