Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Weyerbacher Mike  (Read 2083 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Weyerbacher Mike
« on: November 15, 2010, 05:09:33 pm »
Somehow I feel compelled to comment on a beer carrying my name (albeit a nickname). The aroma of this one is pure monkey juice and while the flavor is acceptable although dominated by bananas
I just cannot find a Weyerbacher offering I find exceptional, even their best come off as mediocre. Once again I'm left disappointed.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Weyerbacher Mike
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2010, 04:13:13 am »
Its because of posts like this that I have seen over the years that I have never bothered to pick one up, hence have never tried a Weyerbacher.

Offline blatz

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 06:02:59 am »
I just cannot find a Weyerbacher offering I find exceptional, even their best come off as mediocre.

Amen to that -
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2010, 06:09:34 am »
I just cannot find a Weyerbacher offering I find exceptional, even their best come off as mediocre.

Amen to that -
I remember an excellent vintage bottle of Blithering Idiot several years ago.  I think it was marked 1998, but I may be wrong.  It was one of my favorite barley wines ever even though when I tasted it it was probably 6 or 7 years old. That said, I don't go out of my way to taste their usual offerings.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2010, 07:16:15 am »
Actually upon reflection there was one which was quite good. Their Double Simcoe IPA was a fine beer. But of the notes I had handy shouldn't more than 1 out of 15 be stellar?
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline blatz

• Paul Blatz - Jupiter, FL
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2010, 07:20:02 am »
Actually upon reflection there was one which was quite good. Their Double Simcoe IPA was a fine beer. But of the notes I had handy shouldn't more than 1 out of 15 be stellar?

eh - even that one left me thinking there's at least 25 IPAs I would rather be having at this moment.

never tried Blithering - mainly because I've been gunshy on purchasing given my other experiences. 
The happiest people don’t necessarily have the best of everything; they just make the best of everything they have.

BJCP National: F0281

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2010, 08:07:02 am »

eh - even that one left me thinking there's at least 25 IPAs I would rather be having at this moment.

never tried Blithering - mainly because I've been gunshy on purchasing given my other experiences. 
And I'm not a fan of Simcoe hops.  It's just not a pleasant aroma for me.  bouef
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995