Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chimay  (Read 7671 times)

Offline SiameseMoose

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cincinnati, OH
Re: Chimay
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2010, 05:00:29 pm »
I think the Chimay beers seem particularly sensitive to handling and storage issues. Some of the most disappointing bottles I've ever opened were Chimay, especially the Red.

We had the good fortune to visit the cafe at Chimay last year. All of the beers were phenomenal! Plus, the Blue they served us was properly matured (about 6 months old). We also visited In De Vrede, the cafe for Westvleteren, and their beers were so fresh that they were a major disappointment. No real character at all. None were more than a few weeks since bottling.

I also learned that Cinq Cents (White) is different in kegs vs bottles. The kegged beers have additional dry hops, although it's unclear whether there were dry hops still in the keg. I had one at a beer dinner in Antwerp that just blew me away! It had just as much hop flavor and aroma as many of the newer Belgian-American IPAs have. That was also where we learned about the additional hopping for the kegged beer.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2010, 03:09:59 pm »
I would love to have the nectar at the source.

Bought 3 Red and 3 of the White. My sinuses are behaving today so I resumed the taste test this afternoon.

As far as quality issues check this out:

I still bought it so a photo could be made. And the lighter one tasted better but basically the same beer.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2010, 03:20:27 pm »
It's hard to say for sure from the photo, but the bottle on the left looks like it's made with darker glass.  Look at the glass in the space above the beer.
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2010, 03:27:10 pm »
could be the condensation is making it look darker.

Their portion control is off too. One bottle has a little less. Unless it was opened.

Oh wait, I thought they were red and white side by side.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 03:29:22 pm by capozzoli »
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2010, 03:32:28 pm »
It's hard to say for sure from the photo, but the bottle on the left looks like it's made with darker glass.  Look at the glass in the space above the beer.

Snap!

Thanks! I check and it is indeed different glass. I'm kicking myself since spotting that sort thing of is my actual job.  >:(

So "perception" may be a bit skewed here. I'm doubting myself. I know! More experimentation is in order...
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline punatic

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2010, 04:07:31 pm »
It was on my mind because recently I split a 15 gallon batch of mead imto three different 5 gallon carboys, the only difference being the yeast.  I was amazed that different yeast could make one batch so much darker than the others.  Then I realized that the darker batch was in a green glass carboy, while the lighter two were in clear glass carboys...    DOH!

BTW, I really enjoyed your performance in The Magnificent Seven
« Last Edit: October 31, 2010, 04:17:17 pm by punatic »

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2010, 03:07:37 pm »
I was alsways under the impression that Chimay's yeast strain was different from Wyeast 1214.  I've used 1214 twice and I wasn't too fond of it, but maybe it was my fermenting temp. 
Dan Chisholm

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2010, 04:16:43 pm »
I was alsways under the impression that Chimay's yeast strain was different from Wyeast 1214.  I've used 1214 twice and I wasn't too fond of it, but maybe it was my fermenting temp. 

Probably. Go cold. Low 60s. Too warm and it tastes like bananas and nail polish remover.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2010, 07:24:44 pm »

Probably. Go cold. Low 60s. Too warm and it tastes like bananas and nail polish remover.

+1. I start it off at about 64 and hold it for a few days finishing it off at around 68.

Offline punatic

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2010, 07:36:11 pm »
Too warm and it tastes like bananas and nail polish remover.

Dang!  That's not a good thing?  I like bananas and nail polish remover...

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2010, 08:10:55 pm »
I'm drinking a delicious bottle of the Blue right now.  I love the Red but the grocery store quit carrying it.  In fact this is the first Chimay I've seen there in months.  I've never had a bad bottle, either here or in Europe.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2010, 05:52:50 am »
I like Chimay well enough, but it is probably my least favorite of all the Trappists - and by far the most commercialized.

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2010, 05:55:07 am »
I prefer the Westmalle Dubbel over Chimay's.
Ron Price

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2010, 06:00:37 am »

+1.  If it hasn't been mishandled.  When I buy Westmalle, I hold the bottle up to light and see if I can see a lot of 'floaties'.  Not the normal bottle-condition stuff, more like larger individual flakes floating throughout the bottle.  If those are there, there is a good chance the bottle is oxidized and the flavor profile is off.  I'm not sure what they are or how they are formed, but I've seen a correlation between their presence and the condition of the final beer. YMMV.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2010, 06:10:24 am »

+1.  If it hasn't been mishandled.  When I buy Westmalle, I hold the bottle up to light and see if I can see a lot of 'floaties'.  Not the normal bottle-condition stuff, more like larger individual flakes floating throughout the bottle.  If those are there, there is a good chance the bottle is oxidized and the flavor profile is off.  I'm not sure what they are or how they are formed, but I've seen a correlation between their presence and the condition of the final beer. YMMV.

This is good to know. I'll have to remember to do that the next time I buy some.
Ron Price