Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Chimay  (Read 7663 times)

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
Re: Chimay
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2010, 10:47:27 am »
I like Chimay well enough, but it is probably my least favorite of all the Trappists

Fully agreed.  I just don't get Chimay, even the aged Blue doesn't do it for me.  I do like their cheese though, but hoo-wee does it get rank if aged too long. 

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2010, 02:33:42 pm »
I prefer the Westmalle Dubbel over Chimay's.

+1.  If it hasn't been mishandled.  When I buy Westmalle, I hold the bottle up to light and see if I can see a lot of 'floaties'.  Not the normal bottle-condition stuff, more like larger individual flakes floating throughout the bottle.  If those are there, there is a good chance the bottle is oxidized and the flavor profile is off.  I'm not sure what they are or how they are formed, but I've seen a correlation between their presence and the condition of the final beer. YMMV.

I have seen that with Achell but never Westmalle. Guess I've been lucky with buying relatively fresh bottles.

FTR I'll take an Orvall any day of the week over all of 'em.  ;)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2010, 02:47:27 pm »
Just picked up a bottle of Cinq Cents to celebrate Election Day!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #33 on: November 03, 2010, 10:17:29 am »
The liquor store I go to turns over Belgians pretty often, so that it's fresh.  I've never had a bad one yet.  That being said, I enjoy dubbels, but they are not my favorite style,  I prefer their stronger counterparts for the darker styles.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2010, 01:26:46 am »
Getting a bit colder. It was  $1.75 off on the Chimay Red 75cl tonight so bought two and chilled at the same time. Inspected the differing translucencies of the glass. First cork says 3/10- eight month. Tastes like a Premiere...

The brewery must have a wide latitude. Why?

The second bottle...

I'm reading the back. Blah Blah Blah... never pasteurized... serve slightly chilled...? So I'm doing a web search. Eddie murphy Raw is is on.

All relaxed after the first bottle I have the 2nd bottle on the table twisting the tab and BORP! the cork and cage fly off the bottle! This beer measured below 50F. Optimal.

Why does this cork just only say 2010? The cork ripped out of my hand. Awake now. The beer is fiercely carbonated. Almost harshly so. I like it better.

Hey, it's the same beer.

Makes me a little more confident as a brewer.  8)

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #35 on: November 19, 2010, 02:52:58 am »

Start shipping your bottles across the ocean, then shipped in refrigerated, or perhaps just as often unrefrigerated trucks, and the let them sit on the store shelves for several months and see if you are still as confident.  ;)

Offline phillamb168

• Brewmaster General
  • Lardy, France
    • My Job
« Reply #36 on: November 19, 2010, 03:17:18 am »

Start shipping your bottles across the ocean, then shipped in refrigerated, or perhaps just as often unrefrigerated trucks, and the let them sit on the store shelves for several months and see if you are still as confident.  ;)

You know, you bring up a good point. I haven't tried Chimay since I moved to Europe, I guess it's gotta be better than what I found in the states. IIRC it had just a really harsh flavor and I couldn't see why people liked it so much. Time to give it another shot.
I'm on twitter: phillamb168
----
morticaixavier for governing committee!

Offline ryang

• Brewer
  • Indian Hills CO
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2010, 08:42:21 am »
You know, you bring up a good point. I haven't tried Chimay since I moved to Europe, I guess it's gotta be better than what I found in the states. IIRC it had just a really harsh flavor and I couldn't see why people liked it so much. Time to give it another shot.

It's much better in Europe from our experience.  Plus it's much cheaper and the little 375ml bottles are everywhere.  When my wife and I were living in Paris for a while, we drank quite a bit of chimay.  Good stuff.  I don't think I've had it since we got back home (about 2 years)