Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer Bread  (Read 2359 times)

Offline Tim McManus

• Assistant Brewer
    • Haskell Brewing Company
Beer Bread
« on: November 09, 2010, 01:29:44 pm »
I had a friend who had some beer bread mix given to them and they used our Bohemian Pilsner to make some.  It tasted freakin' awesome!  It was definitely bread but with a subtle and balanced pilsner flavor to it.

So I scoured the Internet for a decent beer bread recipe.  It seems like all of them settle on something like this:

3 cups self-rising flour
3 tablespoons white sugar
12oz of beer

I've been baking for several years and want to start integrating more homebrew into the recipes.  Today I'm going to make a loaf of IPA bread and American Black Ale (my own style for a beer I've made that isn't a Black IPA or a Brown or a Stout, but sort of steals from all of them) bread.

Has anyone else made homebrew bread and do you have advice / recipes to share?

Thanks!
Tim McManus
Haskell, NJ

Offline markaberrant

• Brewer
  • Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
    • ALES Club
Re: Beer Bread
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2010, 03:12:18 pm »
I use Alton Brown's beer and cheese bread recipe from the Good Eats beer episode, though I have swapped the pale ale and cheddar for any foreign/imperial not-overly-bitter stout and blue cheese (just about any kind of blue will work, if I'm buying it specifically to make bread, I just go with a cheap and basic danish blue).  I also convert all bread/baking recipes to use whole wheat flour.  It turns out really good, even people who don't like blue cheese think it is great.