Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Mash Ratio  (Read 5589 times)

Offline coypoo

• Cellarman
Mash Ratio
« on: December 01, 2009, 02:26:34 pm »
What does the water:grain ratio affect? What is the difference between doing 2 qt/lb and 1.25 qt/lb? I am going to do my first AG batch this weekend and I am going to do a 1.5 qt/lb ratio, but I have no idea why. Thanks!

Offline tom

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Denver, CO
Re: Mash Ratio
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 02:35:32 pm »
There is minimal effect on the mash enzymes and resultant wort fermentability. Some say that a thicker mash will produce less fermentable wort, and thinner mashes more fermentable. But compared to temperature, mash pH, etc., its effects are pretty minimal.
RDWHAHB
Brew on

Offline coypoo

• Cellarman
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 03:11:10 pm »
cool, sounds easy enough

Offline ndcube

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 06:24:55 pm »
I typically ignore it.  I mash so I get the same amount of runoff for every batch.  The grain bill affects the ratio.  The only thing I change is maybe more or less water for grain absorbtion.

Offline yeastmaster

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cabin Brew
    • Saccharomyces Safari
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 07:20:47 pm »
I used to do 1 or 1.25 qt/lb mash ratios but have recently been increasing the ratio to try and improve my efficiency.  I think 1.5 qts/lb is a good place for you to start.  If you are happy with your results stick with that.  Sometimes its fun to change things up just to see what effect it has.

Offline Kaiser

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Imperial Brewing Geek
    • braukaiser.com
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 09:05:09 pm »
I don't want to kill this thread but this thread here should be of interest: http://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=411.0

Kai

Offline dontblake

• Conference
  • Assistant Brewer
    • Indian Peaks Alers
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 09:22:05 pm »
I usually shoot for the 1 to 1.25 qt/lb range.   then I round up or down slightly to get to a nice, round, easily measurable volume of water.

Don Blake, Erie CO
Founder, Indian Peaks Alers
Grand Master BJCP Judge