Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Your FIRST all grain?  (Read 10055 times)

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Re: Your FIRST all grain?
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2010, 11:11:21 am »
My first all grain was an ESB that did not turn out that well.  It was way over-attenuated due to my mash temps being too low.  I changed it's name to Lightning Water ESB and eventually ended up using it as drain cleaner.  But my brews improved pretty rapidly as I gradually got my system and process dialed in.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2010, 11:13:50 am »
I'd suggest something straightforward so you can concentrate on learning technique.  Avoid dark beers so you don't have to sweat pH issues.  Avoid high gravity beers so you don't have to deal with efficiency issues from high gravity beers.  Something along the lines of an APA or blond ale would be good choices.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2010, 11:34:31 am »
Blonde ale.  I had wanted to try my hand at a Shipyard Export Ale clone, and I think it turned out pretty darn close.  What was absolutely amazing to me, after having brewed 30-some batches of extract beer, was the enormous depth of grainy flavors from the base malt that you simply CANNOT GET from extract.  I've been brewing all-grain ever since.  Only looked back once to see if it was possible to make halfway decent beer with extract.  Answer?  Yes, it is possible to make pretty good beer with extract.  But to make really truly EXCEPTIONAL beer, I am a proponent that all-grain, or AT LEAST partial-mash, is undoubtedly the way to go.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

jaybeerman

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2010, 01:00:20 pm »
Avoid dark beers so you don't have to sweat pH issues.  Something along the lines of an APA or blond ale would be good choices.

That's a good point, that I forgot about.  It helps to know what kind of water you're dealing with (hopefully from previous EG brews).  Don't forget though that for some of us not "sweating ph issues" means having to brew dark beers.  All depends on your water.

Offline Thirsty_Monk

• Brewmaster General
  • Eau Claire WI
    • Lazy Monk Brewing
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2010, 06:51:39 pm »
My first AG was Blond Ale.
I remember I had a hard time to hit my temp.
Na Zdravie

Lazy Monk Brewing
http://www.lazymonkbrewing.com

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2010, 08:19:52 am »
My first AG was Blond Ale.
I remember I had a hard time to hit my temp.
Mine was a Saison I believe. The belgian yeast will detract from clean fermentation and insert
interesting yeast oriented flavors.  Wot amazed me was the second runnings temperature and
how hot you need to be to get to mashout temps, because as I learned, you have to raise the
temp of all the liquid, AND grain, AND mash tun that has an established thermal mass. Heat
 the water for your second runnings to  or very near boiling....
Say good bye to extract twang
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2010, 09:20:16 am »
My first all grain was an ESB that did not turn out that well.  It was way over-attenuated due to my mash temps being too low.  I changed it's name to Lightning Water ESB and eventually ended up using it as drain cleaner.  But my brews improved pretty rapidly as I gradually got my system and process dialed in.

I am following in your footsteps. My first AG was an ESB, and it over-attenuated due to mash temps being too low. I have only tasted the test samples, but will let you know this week(end) when I pop open the first bottle.
Tulsa, OK

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2010, 09:24:38 am »
My first 5 gallon batch of AG was an oatmeal stout.  Turned out well, most likely because I did a few partial mash batches in transition to AG brewing.  And before I moved onto to full partial mash batches I did a few 3 gallon AG batches that also turned out really well.  First 3 gallon AG batch was an amber ale with german hops, it was very tasty; haven't been able to duplicate it either :(
Jesse

Offline morticaixavier

• I must live here
  • Underhill VT
    • The Best Artist in the WORLD!!!!!
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2010, 01:23:50 pm »
My first AG batch was a belgian pale ale cause it was a simple grain bill and I do not have temp control so I figured the belgian yeast's appreciation of higher ferment temps would cover my butt. came out really well I think.
"Creativity is the residue of wasted time"
-A Einstein

"errors are [...] the portals of discovery"
- J Joyce

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2010, 01:27:41 pm »
My first all-grain was a Belgian dubbel.

I think it's good to try a beer that you couldn't make as an extract beer, like something lighter in color than amber.  Or something using Munich or Vienna malt.  (Yes, I know you can now buy Munich extract)
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline alikocho

• Brewmaster
  • Bristol, UK
    • A Storm Brewing
« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2010, 01:45:50 pm »
My first AG was a Belgian Saison, after I built the 'Denny Mashtun' (in blue). It was an awesome beer, and I've never looked back.

In the UK, I cannot get Munich, or Pilsner extract.
Bristol Brewing Circle (BBC)
Bristol Craft Brewers

UK National Homebrew Competition - http://www.bristolhomebrewcompetition.org.uk/

Offline coypoo

• Cellarman
« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2010, 02:09:12 pm »
My first was a brown ale. Didnt turn out that good unfortunately b/c I had a hard time lautering. But every batch, I think, has gotten better and I learn something new from every brew. Good luck

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2010, 03:47:21 pm »
Mine was an ordinary bitter, looked in my brew book I wrote down everything about it except how it tasted  ???
Dan S. from NJ

Offline egminer

• 1st Kit
  • Beer on the bluff
    • Gakona, Alaska
« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2010, 04:01:21 pm »
My first all grain was an IPA as that is my favorite.  Still trying to perfect it tho.   Practice practice practice.......   8)
2799.7, 321.1 Apparent Rennerian
; Sabco Brew-Magic, 2 Blichmann 14.5 gallon fermentors... Life is Good Judge!

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2010, 06:26:59 pm »
I don't remember my first all grain, but I do remember I first piece of ...

I guess that's for another forum. :D