Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rehydration Question  (Read 2892 times)

Offline cmuzz

• 1st Kit
Rehydration Question
« on: February 22, 2011, 09:52:19 am »
I’ve always used Wyeast smack packs to brew beer & mead with, but just made a mead with dry Champaign yeast and it worked out great. Here is the issue. I used Go-Ferm in the water to rehydrate the yeast for pitching in the mead. Should I do the same in rehydrating for beer?

I’m using Safale #S-33 in a Belgian Witt & Safale #S-04 in a Scotch Ale. Instrux are just to put dry into the aerated wort. Would I get better results with feeding the yeasties first?
Caesar M.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Rehydration Question
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 10:32:51 am »
When I use dry yeast, I simply pitch it without rehydration.  While rehydration may be better, I've gotten great results without it.  I don't see any need to add nutrients if you do rehydrate.  When the yeast is produced, it's coated with nutrients so no further should be necessary.

And FWIW, S33 wouldn't be my choice for a wit.  I've never found anything vaguely Belgian about it's flavor.  Word is that it's Edme, a British yeast.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline cmuzz

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 10:41:12 am »
S-33 is coming with the kit from Alternative Beverages. Maybe I'll hold on to it for my next Bitter & get something local. Any suggestions for a good Belgian Witt yeast?
Caesar M.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 10:51:13 am »
If you want to stick with dry, T-58 makes a pretty good wit.  If you want to use liquid and make a starter, I'd suggest WY3944.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 11:11:20 am »
If you want to stick with dry, T-58 makes a pretty good wit.  If you want to use liquid and make a starter, I'd suggest WY3944.

+1 on both of those yeasts for a Belgian Wit...  Cheers!!!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline cmuzz

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2011, 03:19:25 pm »
How about a discussion of the flavor differences in each? My favorite flavors in a Witt are the dry orange and coriander. I was thinking of adding a bit of chamomile, as well to bring up the floral character in the nose.

Which do you think will emphasize what I'm looking for?
Caesar M.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2011, 03:45:10 pm »
3944 is definitely more of a classic wit yeast.  IIRC, it's Hoegaarden.  T58 makes a good wit, but IMO it's not in the same league.  I usually put chamomile in my wits.  I heard once that it's the "secret ingredient" in Hoegaarden.  whether that's true or not, it works really well.  I use .6 oz. for the last 5-10 min.  I also sometimes toss in about 15 pink peppercorns.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline cmuzz

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2011, 08:58:41 am »
3944 it is and thanks for that confirmation on the chamomile. Looking forward to this one. :)
Caesar M.