Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Stubborn Cornie Top  (Read 6460 times)

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
Stubborn Cornie Top
« on: November 24, 2009, 08:47:50 am »
I've got a 5 gallon keg that's really aggravating me. >:(

One half of the top has popped loose from the keg and I can't seem to find the right adhesive to get it to stay down . . even tried Gorilla which I thought would be ideal.

Suggestions? 
Just brew it...

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: Stubborn Cornie Top
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 09:56:11 am »
I'll be interested to hear solutions....I've got one just like that that I just tried Gorilla Glue on to no avail.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline babalu87

• Brewmaster
  • Grand Brewbah
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 10:34:36 am »
You gotta get it wet for the Gorilla glue to work well
Jeff

On draught:
IIPA, Stout, Hefeweizen, Hallertau Pale Ale, Bitter

Primary:
Hefeweizen,Berliner Weisse, Mead

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 10:49:52 am »
I have never had to repair the top, but have successfully repaired the bottom.  I used Plumbers GOOP and worked it in with a Popsicle Stick.  Then used a rope and wrapped it around the Cornie and used a 2x2 & twisted it up like a tourniquet to apply pressure on the rubber where the glue was and let it sit for a few days before releasing the tourniquet. So far so good...
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 11:22:56 am »

Did that.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 11:30:37 am »

Yepper . . same here, hence my foolish notion that Gorilla would work! :-\
Just brew it...

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 11:32:38 am »
I have never had to repair the top, but have successfully repaired the bottom.  I used Plumbers GOOP and worked it in with a Popsicle Stick.  Then used a rope and wrapped it around the Cornie and used a 2x2 & twisted it up like a tourniquet to apply pressure on the rubber where the glue was and let it sit for a few days before releasing the tourniquet. So far so good...

Wouldn't think it would take a lot to keep the bottom on, but lifting a full cornie is pretty stressful on the top joint.
Just brew it...

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 12:33:33 pm »

Wouldn't think it would take a lot to keep the bottom on, but lifting a full cornie is pretty stressful on the top joint.

Never know 'til you try...  Let us know if it works. I'm sure there are lots of brewers out there looking for the same solution.
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 01:10:22 pm »
Never know 'til you try...  Let us know if it works. I'm sure there are lots of brewers out there looking for the same solution.

Good point . . Is this stuff available at Slowes or Home Disappointment?
Just brew it...

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 01:36:38 pm »

Good point . . Is this stuff available at Slowes or Home Disappointment?
Probably.  Bought mine a Wally World in the Paint/Plumbing area...

Offline mtbrewer

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 02:22:46 pm »
You could give marine-tex a try. Make sure your surface is clean and dry, then give a couple days to properly cure. I have used it for many things and it has not let me down yet. Just a suggestion, good luck!

Offline bob

• Conference
  • Cellarman
  • Prez for Life - Yeast Coasters - West Michigan
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2009, 03:49:56 pm »
Any good contact glue should work but you might try heating the SS corney with warm water first to about 100F. The colder SS seems to keep the glue from setting up. Goop works if you smear it on the rubber liberally. Turn the keg upside down, apply lots of glue, set the keg down on the floor upside down, put a couple of bricks on it for a day. The excess glue that squeezes out can be removed by rubbing it with your fingers and peeling it off.
Bob

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2009, 05:36:10 pm »
Went to Lowe's last week and got a tube of Amazing Goop.

The only thing that amazes me at this point is that I haven't put it on the keg yet.  :-\

I'll report back when I get it done . . .
Just brew it...

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2009, 12:52:29 pm »
**UPDATE**

FWIW, The Amazing Goop seems to be hanging in there like a hair in a biscuit.

I've pulled, yanked, bludgeoned the top and she's still holding fast.

Yippee for Amazing Goop!!

Just brew it...

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2009, 01:05:16 pm »
That's good to know.  As mentioned above, I used it successfully on the bottom and now we know it works on the top as well.  Thanks for posting the update!!!