Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Poll

is teflon tape acceptable for my stainless connections.

yes
15 (100%)
no
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 15

Author Topic: teflon tape.  (Read 3563 times)

Offline hiphophead

• Cellarman
teflon tape.
« on: March 15, 2010, 01:42:41 pm »
i am setting up a brewing stand.  im using thermoplastic tubing for all my hot and cold wort lines with stainless hose barbs and quick disconnects.  i have to thread some stainless fitting onto my march pump and onto my blichmann therminater.  will teflon tape be good and withstand the heat of boiling wort and then be able to be cleaned and sanitized without having to redo the fittings.

Offline rep

• Cellarman
Re: teflon tape.
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 07:42:57 am »
i am setting up a brewing stand.  im using thermoplastic tubing for all my hot and cold wort lines with stainless hose barbs and quick disconnects.  i have to thread some stainless fitting onto my march pump and onto my blichmann therminater.  will teflon tape be good and withstand the heat of boiling wort and then be able to be cleaned and sanitized without having to redo the fittings.

I use it all the time.  Have it on my HLT as well as for teh fittings on my boil kettle.
Wear Wool, Sit on Leather, Ride Lugged Steel

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 11:12:24 pm »
I use it all the time.  Have it on my HLT as well as for teh fittings on my boil kettle.

+1
Me too.
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na ZdravĂ­

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2010, 01:03:30 am »
Metal on metal especially the same metal is bad my old engineer dad told me. The tape can handle the heat but you might have to redo fittings on sanitary critical fittings if sloppily wrapped.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2010, 09:07:45 am »
Metal on metal especially the same metal is bad my old engineer dad told me. The tape can handle the heat but you might have to redo fittings on sanitary critical fittings if sloppily wrapped.

Metal on metal causes galling which basically cold welds the pieces together (bad).  The teflon acts both as a lubricant and a sealant and will work fine in this application.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2010, 11:01:52 am »

Metal on metal causes galling which basically cold welds the pieces together (bad).  The teflon acts both as a lubricant and a sealant and will work fine in this application.

+1

Use teflon tape and use the commercial type. Thread tape is appropriate for use on tapered threads, where it is the thread itself that provides the seal surface. It is not required on parallel threads - parallel threads will not seal effectively themselves, even with tape.
Ron Price