Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: a question about my new 7 lb. barley crusher  (Read 9815 times)

Offline dean

• Brewmaster
  • Me and Hayden, my newest grandson.
Re: a question about my new 7 lb. barley crusher
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2010, 05:39:43 pm »
10 gal igloo works good and holds more grain than a 5 gal bucket

Sometimes, maybe more often than not, milled grain for my batches won't fit in a 5 gallon bucket either.   :D

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2010, 07:52:50 pm »
I just got this mill recently, but have had problems with the drills I've been using.  The first drill was just not powerful enough, so I got a corded drill.  I was too nervous to give it full power, but this drill wouldn't start the rollers without giving it full power quickly then backing off.... eventually both drills started smoking and I finished the grist off with the hand crank.  What do you think?  A drill with more torque?
I use a drill similar to this with excellent results...
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=93632
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!

Offline rabid_dingo

• Brewmaster
  • Brighton, CO :D
    • Mile High Monks
« Reply #32 on: March 18, 2010, 12:48:41 am »
I went with the one below. I opted for a 1/2 rod in on the mill, so I need a 1/2 in drill. Plus it is variable speed. Lowest
setting is perfect and it works like a champ. Harbor freight does kick butt with some prices..Found out I had one
down the road and saved on shipping and they had it on sale for $32.

Harbor Freigh ITEM 3273-9VGA

« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 08:20:33 am by rabid_dingo »
Ruben * Colorado :)

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2010, 10:53:17 am »
I just got this mill recently, but have had problems with the drills I've been using.  The first drill was just not powerful enough, so I got a corded drill.  I was too nervous to give it full power, but this drill wouldn't start the rollers without giving it full power quickly then backing off.... eventually both drills started smoking and I finished the grist off with the hand crank.  What do you think?  A drill with more torque?

Cordless drill no good (usually). After much experimentation I've found that running the drill flat-out at 3000rpm all the time produces the best results. And it doesn't start smoking LOL though I got that with my Black&Decker 18v.

Really, the main problem I see with the BC and it probably is true with most mills (WAG) is that the variations in grain's kernel-size coupled with fluctuations in humidity often requires gap adjustments just to get the stuff to feed through. I grab the chuck and work it back and forth till I feel the grain "bite" and then I let it rip.

Finally concluded I'll just back off on the gap permanently since a dubious couple points in efficiency no longer matter to me. I just want the brew-day to go smoothly. ;)

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline jwatkins56550

• Cellarman
« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2010, 09:05:04 pm »
Thanks for the help guys