Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Ice cider - yeast and other issues  (Read 2492 times)

Offline nathanw

• 1st Kit
Ice cider - yeast and other issues
« on: November 01, 2010, 07:18:59 pm »
I'm changing up my usual cider routine this season and trying to make a batch of Quebec-style ice cider (cidre de glace). I'm on my way to having 4-5 gallons of 1.100-1.110 SG concentrated juice made from my local orchard's unpasteurized juice (apple blend unknown, unfortunately). Any thoughts on yeast strain, fermentation temperature, or other issues here? My usual cider yeasts are Lalvin D47 and WLP775; I suspect either of them would do an OK job but probably not a great job.

Offline monomer77

• Cellarman
Re: Ice cider - yeast and other issues
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 07:53:36 pm »
Any wine yeast would be okay. Even if your cider ferments dry, it's only 13-14% ABV. Most wine yeasts, D47, 71B, 1118, etc., can all handle that level of alcohol.

Offline realbeerguy

• Brewer
  • Golf & drink beer with your friends
Re: Ice cider - yeast and other issues
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 08:12:48 pm »
I did one 2 years ago using B3's QA23 yeast with great results.  15 Brix to 30 Brix after icing.  QA23 specs follow:

Dry Wine Yeast - QA23 (8 g)
DYW60
Portuguese isolate used for production of fresh, fruity, white wines. Enhances the aroma of terpenic varietals like Muscat, Sauvignon blanc and Gewurztraminer, through Beta-glucosidase activity. QA23 will not give structure to a wine, but it truly excels at focusing the fruit either alone or as part of a blend. Strong fermentation rate, alcohol tolerant to 16% and optimum fermentation from 50 to 90 degrees. QA23 has low nutrient requirements and will ferment clarified juice with low solids content
Member Savannah Brewers League & Lowcountry MALTS

Bluffton SC