Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I just sent this to Pabst Brewing Co  (Read 6857 times)

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
Re: I just sent this to Pabst Brewing Co
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2010, 08:02:39 pm »
The blue ribbon in Pabst Blue Ribbon was the award Pabst won at the World's Columbia Expostion 1893 aka the Chicago World's Fair
(see The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson)

PBR - TYDTS
« Last Edit: November 04, 2010, 08:20:12 pm by punatic »
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

beveragebob

« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2010, 02:21:03 pm »
It's really sad that we have to associate the legend of Ballantine with Pabst :'(

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2010, 02:28:21 pm »
What's this??? PBR bashing???? Shame on you all! >:(

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2010, 02:55:28 pm »
It just evens out the strength of your defense of them, Chumley! 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline ipaguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2010, 06:53:56 pm »
I drank quite a bit of PBR as a youngster, and found it to be my favorite variety of 'bland American mega-swill'.  Someone should really think about getting trademark protection for that phrase  ;)
Primary: gotlandsdricke/alt/dunkel hybrid
Secondary: pale barleywine,
Bottled:  Gotlandsdricke
               Oatmeal/blackberry stout
               Honey Kolsch

Offline punatic

« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2010, 07:59:12 pm »
Pabst owns Schlitz now too (via the Stroh buy-out).

I used to drink Schlitz dark in my early days, but then I found out that Schlitz is the German word for skunk piss.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2010, 02:17:21 pm »
I had to see what Schlitz translated to, and it is "slot".

Stroh translates to "straw", BTW.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2010, 03:57:23 pm »
I'll refrain from trying to translate Schmidt.
 ;)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2010, 04:07:42 pm »
 ;)

So you don't know any Germans?   Schmidt is the German equivalent of Smith.  Someone who makes something, usually in metal working.  You know what a blacksmith is, I am sure.

In German, knife is messer and smith is schmidt.  So in German someone who makes knives and swords was a Messerschmidt.  One of the big centers of armour and sword making in midieval times in Germany was Augsberg.  Augsberg was bombed to rubble at the end of WWII because the was a local firm that made fighter planes named after the founder, Willie Messerschmidt.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2010, 04:22:19 pm »
 ;)

So you don't know any Germans?   Schmidt is the German equivalent of Smith.  Someone who makes something, usually in metal working.  You know what a blacksmith is, I am sure.

In German, knife is messer and smith is schmidt.  So in German someone who makes knives and swords was a Messerschmidt.  One of the big centers of armour and sword making in midieval times in Germany was Augsberg.  Augsberg was bombed to rubble at the end of WWII because the was a local firm that made fighter planes named after the founder, Willie Messerschmidt.
Yeah, from what I've been told Schmidlin is equivalent, just sort of local to Basel, Switzerland.  When I flew into Basel a dozen years ago or so, the customs agent looked at my passport said "Schmidlin, eh?" and proceeded to talk to me in a string of Schweizerdeutsch I couldn't really understand with my high school Hochdeutsch.  My Grandfather was born in/near Basel.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2010, 06:16:32 pm »
 ;)

So you don't know any Germans?   Schmidt is the German equivalent of Smith.  Someone who makes something, usually in metal working.  You know what a blacksmith is, I am sure.

In German, knife is messer and smith is schmidt.  So in German someone who makes knives and swords was a Messerschmidt.  One of the big centers of armour and sword making in midieval times in Germany was Augsberg.  Augsberg was bombed to rubble at the end of WWII because the was a local firm that made fighter planes named after the founder, Willie Messerschmidt.

Yep, and smith for blacksmith (I fancy myself a blacksmith) comes from the word smite meaning to strike. Like the smith does with his hammer. Blacksmith is for iron as it was considered black. Then there are (were) copper-smiths, tinsmiths, silversmiths,  goldsmiths, and even more lately in history whitesmiths  for aluminum and stainless. The more malleable alloys and grades of aluminum can be forged cold, although not a lot of people are doing it.  

And tom, Ill bet your name comes somehow from the German word for smelt. Ill bet your ancestors worked foundries. 

I love this stuff, how names come from trades, Baker, Carpenter, Brewer, which brings us back to the subject.  ::)

« Last Edit: November 11, 2010, 06:20:40 pm by capozzoli »
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline ipaguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2010, 06:20:52 pm »

I used to drink Schlitz dark in my early days, but then I found out that Schlitz is the German word for skunk piss.

The only beer I've had that truly tasted like skunk urine was sun-struck Heineken (nice green bottles, a-holes).  I've not had a PBR in about 5 yr., but when I did I liked it a lot better than most mass-produced American lagers.   Bud, in particular, is a lot like making love in a canoe (f****ing close to water).  
               Oatmeal/blackberry stout
               Honey Kolsch

Offline ipaguy

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2010, 06:39:24 pm »
 ;)

So you don't know any Germans?   Schmidt is the German equivalent of Smith.  Someone who makes something, usually in metal working.  You know what a blacksmith is, I am sure.

In German, knife is messer and smith is schmidt.  So in German someone who makes knives and swords was a Messerschmidt.  One of the big centers of armour and sword making in midieval times in Germany was Augsberg.  Augsberg was bombed to rubble at the end of WWII because the was a local firm that made fighter planes named after the founder, Willie Messerschmidt.

Yep, and smith for blacksmith (I fancy myself a blacksmith) comes from the word smite meaning to strike. Like the smith does with his hammer. Blacksmith is for iron as it was considered black. Then there are (were) copper-smiths, tinsmiths, silversmiths,  goldsmiths, and even more lately in history whitesmiths  for aluminum and stainless. The more malleable alloys and grades of aluminum can be forged cold, although not a lot of people are doing it.  

And tom, Ill bet your name comes somehow from the German word for smelt. Ill bet your ancestors worked foundries. 

I love this stuff, how names come from trades, Baker, Carpenter, Brewer, which brings us back to the subject.  ::)

One of the strangest is 'Fletcher'.  This is the guy who glues the feathers onto arrows (not a big job market currently).
               Oatmeal/blackberry stout
               Honey Kolsch

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2010, 07:27:15 pm »
To get back on the Pabst Ballantines subject, the name Cooper would apply, as they had some 800 barrel wooden tanks to take care of back in the day.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline punatic

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2010, 10:40:01 pm »

OK all youse brainiacs... What IS the German word for skunk piss then, ay?

AHA Life Member #33907