Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: I just sent this to Pabst Brewing Co  (Read 6933 times)

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: I just sent this to Pabst Brewing Co
« Reply #30 on: November 11, 2010, 10:56:14 pm »
And tom, Ill bet your name comes somehow from the German word for smelt. Ill bet your ancestors worked foundries. 
Actually, I just looked up Schmidlin on ancestry.com
"South German: from a diminutive of Middle High German smit ‘blacksmith’, probably denoting a blacksmith who was the son of a blacksmith."

So there you go.

OK all youse brainiacs... What IS the German word for skunk piss then, ay?
Stinktierpiss  ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline punatic

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Puna District, Hawaii Island (UTC -10)
« Reply #31 on: November 11, 2010, 11:10:39 pm »
Stinktierpiss  ;)

Spoken like a true South-Middle-High German!
There is only one success: to be able to spend your life in your own way.

AHA Life Member #33907

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #32 on: November 11, 2010, 11:27:19 pm »
Stinktierpiss  ;)

Spoken like a true South-Middle-High German!
Danke ;)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline gmwren

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #33 on: November 12, 2010, 05:53:56 am »
Pabst may be trying the Gen X or new Yuppie thing, but they have made a showing at the GABF awards. Since 1990, six golds, three silvers, and a bronze in American Lager, Premium Lager and Light Lager. This does not include all the other beers associated under their beer flag. Medals in four straight years from 2004 - 2007 and the crowd always gives them a roar when announced during the Saturday awards ceremony. I guess there are quite a few of us that have a dark history with PBR in the way-back-when.

Here's what they say about their flagship brew:

"Pabst Blue Ribbon
American Style Premium Lager
Pabst Blue Ribbon is a premium lager brew crafted with a hefty infusion of 6-row barley in its ingredient package, a carefully balanced carbohydrate profile from corn syrup, and a unique combination of Pacific domestic hops blended with an imported Yugoslavian variety.  Fermented with a pure culture of yeast and aged at high gravity, PBR is cellared and finished to the smooth, robust likeness of a fine Pilsner.

144 calories

12.8 grams of carbohydrates"

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #34 on: November 12, 2010, 08:10:22 am »
I like PBR.  Not all the time, but it or a good cream ale (Little Kings is made nearby) is good on a hot day, or after mowing the lawn.  Try it.  Put your judge hat on, and think about it compared to other examples.  I'd pick those any time over competing BMC products.  Boeuf.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline Kit B

• Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: November 12, 2010, 08:25:07 am »
So you don't know any Germans?   Schmidt is the German equivalent of Smith.  Someone who makes something, usually in metal working.  You know what a blacksmith is, I am sure.
In German, knife is messer and smith is schmidt.  So in German someone who makes knives and swords was a Messerschmidt...

Yes...Thank you...A close friend is a guy named Schmitz & I'm married to a Swedish/German goddess, so I was well aware.
Maybe I need to be less sutble & more funny with my humorous outbursts...Sorry.

Edit
Or...Maybe you guys aren't aware of "The brew that grew in the great Northwest"...http://schmidtbeer.com/
« Last Edit: November 12, 2010, 08:35:39 am by Kit B »

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #36 on: November 12, 2010, 08:26:25 am »
I like PBR.  Not all the time, but it or a good cream ale (Little Kings is made nearby) is good on a hot day, or after mowing the lawn.  Try it.  Put your judge hat on, and think about it compared to other examples.  I'd pick those any time over competing BMC products.  Boeuf.

+1

PBR is good on occasion especially while cutting the lawn.  I prefer it over all the other BMC's.

It would be interesting to learn the results from a Category 1B competition including only the commercial examples from that category,
judged by some higher ranking BJCP judges.

PBR
MHL
Bud
Balitka 3
Kirin
Grain Belt
MG
LB
Coors
Fosters

A Zymurgy article in the making.  ;D

Ron Price

Offline hamiltont

• Brewmaster
« Reply #37 on: November 12, 2010, 02:37:51 pm »

Edit
Or...Maybe you guys aren't aware of "The brew that grew in the great Northwest"...http://schmidtbeer.com/

Ahhh, Animal Beer! Been there, done that. I'd give PBR the win by a nose though...  ;)  Cheers!!
If Homebrew & BBQ aren't the answer, then you're askin' the wrong questions... Cheers!!!