Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Removing spent grain from MT, has anyone.....  (Read 7076 times)

Offline kvp

• 1st Kit
Removing spent grain from MT, has anyone.....
« on: November 02, 2010, 05:42:31 pm »
Hello all,
Has anyone used a shopvac to suck the grain out of the mash tun?
I'm looking at a new system I'm about to put into action and will be dealing with 44 lb +/- of grain.
Currently I just pick it up and dump but that is 12 +/- lbs.
I know I could scoop it out, but thought the shopvac might be easier and faster.
Thoughts?

Thanks, Kevin

beveragebob

Re: Removing spent grain from MT, has anyone.....
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 06:12:18 pm »
What type of system are you using? 2 tier, 3 tier, one level?  How far off the ground is your MT?

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 06:43:47 pm »
Why don't you just shovel it out and into manageable buckets. A good shop vac might do it, but now you have 2 things to clean up. Of course you still have to clean the buckets.

Offline kvp

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 08:20:09 pm »
It's one level so yes I can shovel it out.
Just wondered if anyone had tried the shopvac.
Didn't know if it was worth trying.
If I did try it I'd put the vac head on top of the wheelbarrow with a false top of wood for the vac head to sit on.

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 01:47:30 am »
...If I did try it I'd put the vac head on top of the wheelbarrow with a false top of wood for the vac head to sit on.

Will that work? Interesting. Might be useful for those that have the 120qt tuns.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 03:40:24 am »
It will work only if the vac head is sealed to the wheel barrow or other container.

Offline thehorse

• Cellarman
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 01:31:21 pm »
I use a shop-vac all the time and it's great.  I've only got a 1/2" drain in the middle of my MLT so I shovel everything out into a bucket and then cleanup the rest of the small stuff with my shop-vac.  It's amazingly easy.  It's also great for getting the sludge out of the bottom of the Boil Kettle after moving the beer to the fermenter.

Offline weithman5

• Senior Brewmaster
  • naperville, il
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 01:52:47 pm »
...If I did try it I'd put the vac head on top of the wheelbarrow with a false top of wood for the vac head to sit on.

Will that work? Interesting. Might be useful for those that have the 120qt tuns.
should work fine.  my son actually took the head of my shop vac off and put it on a piece of plywood with a tarp skirt.  used the blower end and made a hovercraft. very easy, but limited by extension cords.
Don AHA member

Offline 6thstreet

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 02:44:23 pm »
I use a shop vac to clean out my sabco MT and boil kettle everytime and it works great.  Sometimes I need to add a little water to the grains.  I'll never go back to scooping.

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 03:24:22 pm »
As a shop vac it should work fine, but when you remove the head and place it on something else that doesn't provide for a seal, it won't work. At least none of the ones I ever owned would. That said, it would still work well as a blower, but not as a vac.  The material is sucked into the container, not directly into the vacuum head.

Offline dano14041

• Brewer
Tulsa, OK

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2010, 05:51:35 pm »
WOW that's a great deal for $20 and since buckets are standard, you can use it on any of them.

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2010, 06:29:19 pm »
WOW that's a great deal for $20 and since buckets are standard, you can use it on any of them.

+1 I might need to pick one of those up just for general use on my next home depot trip.
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline jwaldner

• Cellarman
« Reply #13 on: November 03, 2010, 08:43:14 pm »
That's a great idea but I'm wondering if the 1.5HP is enough to handle that much grain without any issues.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2010, 09:05:22 pm »
I just have to say, over the years I have seen many posts about people shop vaccing grain out of mash tuns. And I just don;t get it. How the hell can you carry a carboy if you can't tip a MT? I am currently emptying a 55 gallon MT by hand and will soon be emptying one 4 or 5Xs that big. And for the 55 gallon one I find it easy to dump. Just can't see the problem with emptying one for a 5 or 10 gallon batch. In fact, dragging the shop vac out would be a bigger PITA IMO.