Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: San Antonio beer tips?  (Read 3126 times)

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
San Antonio beer tips?
« on: November 02, 2010, 08:31:02 pm »
Any first-hand recommendations for San Antonio?  In town for a few days.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
Re: San Antonio beer tips?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 12:04:50 am »
Really!?  :D

Bluestar is downtown on S. Alamo. Short walking distance for a New Yorker- even cheaper in a cab. Honestly, never had it but it's supposed to be a decent brewpub. Will have to make it sometime. Very close to that is Liberty Bar. They say serious I say damn good. Again another but waay out on the North Side is Freetail Brewing Co.

Oh you meant more serious food downtown? Biga on the Banks.$$$ There's really a multitude of places good and bad- I like local establishments for inexpensive Vietnamese, Thai and Tex Mex.

It's a huge city. A car city like LA so if you're downtown as a conventionero it makes sense to stay there unless you know a local  ;) and have access to a car.  ;)

Welcome to San Antonio Gordon. Or Bienvenidos. It's lovely this time of year.

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 12:27:52 am »
Sounds good; sent a PM.  Maybe we can grab a beer or four.

Well, that took about 4 hours.  Wouldn't have been able to do that in TechTalk...
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline dirk_mclargehuge

• Cellarman
    • Wort's Going On Here?
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2010, 07:53:10 am »
And if you're in town on Friday afternoon, run out to Real Ale Brewing in Blanco, http://www.realalebrewing.com.  Their brewery tours are pretty good and they always have something experimental on tap.  Also check out Ranger Creek Brewing and distilling,  http://www.drinkrangercreek.com, and ask Mark McDavid for a tour.  They aren't on shelves yet, but getting a look at their still is simultaneously a religious and a sexual experience.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2010, 08:07:34 am »
Drive to Austin.  That is what my wife always says.

Real Ale makes some decent beers, so that recommendation is good.  Any excuse to drive up to the Hill Country is a good excuse.

If you can find a place that has Live Oak on tap, try the Hefeweizen or the Pilz.  Only had those in Austin, don't know if they get to San Antonio.

If you are downtown, and go to the Riverwalk, the best thing you might find is Shiner, unless things have changed in the last 5 years.  

Edit:  Get some Texas BBQ when you are there.  Lockhart and Luling are 2 of the top town for Q, but I have had some good Q in San Antonio.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2010, 08:23:35 am by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 11:06:07 am »
They carry better than Shiner on the Riverwalk. There's a County Line BBQ on the Riverwalk which is decent. Woohoo we have a Morton's. But I think they got one in Chicago LOL. I recommend Jim Cullum at the Landing for some jazz. Durty Nelly's Irish pub is always good for a bit of fun too.

Gordon- your PM must have been waylaid. Let me know when you'll be in town and maybe we can get together.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 03:02:08 pm »
They carry better than Shiner on the Riverwalk. There's a County Line BBQ on the Riverwalk which is decent. Woohoo we have a Morton's. But I think they got one in Chicago LOL. I recommend Jim Cullum at the Landing for some jazz. Durty Nelly's Irish pub is always good for a bit of fun too.

Gordon- your PM must have been waylaid. Let me know when you'll be in town and maybe we can get together.

Glad to hear that things have improved on the Riverwalk.  The time I was there, Shiner had one of the specials out that was a pretty tasty Helles.  When I was in Austin and the Hill Country last year, drank some of the Black and Smokehouse.  I think we stopped into Durty Nelly's at the end of an evening, not too bad.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Robert

• Assistant Brewer
  • Arlington, TX
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 03:19:53 pm »
Don't go out of your way fro Freetail. Their Pale Ale is good, but the others, if they even have them on tap, were very mediocre. I went about two months ago while on a business trip and was very dissappointed. The beer line-up looked very good, but only 3-4 beers were available that night and the waitress was clueless. Sit at the bar if you go, maybe the bartender is more knowledgable.
"In three things is a man revealed: in his wine goblet, in his purse, and in his wrath."

Offline passlaku

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 07:42:10 pm »
If you are downtown take the long walk or short cab ride to La Tuna, a classic ice house, in South Town.  It is across the street from the Blue Star.  BTW, ask for Joey at the Blue Star, he's the owner and brewer there and a very cool dude. 

Have fun in SA. 

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2010, 08:19:32 am »
Not a heck of a lot downtown, Flying Saucer is further out and if you want a singular experience head to Hills and Dales Icehouse (biker bar/craft beer joint).

If you are looking to purchase beer go to Central Market (HEB).

I researched it awhile back and Alamo Drafthouse sounded promising as did Brasserie Pavil. I have never been to those two.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 10:06:07 am »
I went to Flying Saucer last night. Tried the NB Ranger IPA on draft for the first time. Also had the house black IPA. Both were excellent. Decent menu and lots of taps. Busy though.