Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Dextrose (Corn Sugar) vs. Malt (DME) for Priming  (Read 15244 times)

Offline jwaldner

• Cellarman
Dextrose (Corn Sugar) vs. Malt (DME) for Priming
« on: November 02, 2010, 08:37:43 pm »
I'm trying to make a decision on whether or not to switch from priming with dextrose (corn sugar) or malt (DME). I've used both with success but am thinking I would only like to keep DME on-hand since I use it the most and it's one less thing to have to order. Not to mention it's not always easy to find Dextrose locally in 2-3 lb bags.

What are the pros vs. cons of either and what's your preferred choice?

Thanksand cheers!

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
Re: Dextrose (Corn Sugar) vs. Malt (DME) for Priming
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2010, 08:42:46 pm »
It's been a long time since I've done this, but I remember corn sugar working faster and requiring less quantity to do the same thing.  Plus, it's cheaper.

What's my preferred choice?  Keg and force carb with CO2.  Save the DME for starters.  If bottle conditioning, I'd use corn sugar unless I was trying to add in a little extra flavor at bottling.
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline pyrite

• Brewer
  • Davis, CA
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2010, 08:51:44 pm »
It's been a long time since I've done this, but I remember corn sugar working faster and requiring less quantity to do the same thing.  Plus, it's cheaper.

What's my preferred choice?  Keg and force carb with CO2.  Save the DME for starters.  If bottle conditioning, I'd use corn sugar unless I was trying to add in a little extra flavor at bottling.

But can you age a force carbonated bottle of beer just as long as a bottle conditioned beer (5 plus years or more).  I'm under the impression that the yeast from the bottle conditioned beer will scavenge all the oxygen compared to a force carbonated bottle of beer.

If you don't get in over your head, how are you ever going to know how tall you are.

Offline loco

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2010, 08:52:21 pm »
Really depends on what I'm racking... if it's a wheat or stout, or even some IPAs I go corn. BUT, If I'm working on a porter, red, or a nice pale, I go with the Malt. I think there's a flavor difference depending on the style, IMO.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2010, 09:50:28 pm »
Well for heavensakes..... what you really need to do is to use regular everyday common household white sugar.  Yes, sugar of the cane or beet variety.  Use 5/8 cup for 5 gallons and you're golden.  No need to buy extra DME, and no need for corn sugar, never ever again.  You've got a pound of sugar in your pantry at all times, right?  Right.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline redbeerman

• Senior Brewmaster
  • On the banks of the mighty Susquehanna in MD
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2010, 07:11:21 am »
Well for heavensakes..... what you really need to do is to use regular everyday common household white sugar.  Yes, sugar of the cane or beet variety.  Use 5/8 cup for 5 gallons and you're golden.  No need to buy extra DME, and no need for corn sugar, never ever again.  You've got a pound of sugar in your pantry at all times, right?  Right.

+1  I only use DME for starters and haven't used corn sugar in a long time.  That being said, I still prefer to force carb and haven't noticed any oxydation effects in my aged beers.
CH3CH2OH - Without it, life itself would be impossible.

[441, 112.1deg] AR

Jim

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2010, 07:27:59 am »

+1  I only use DME for starters and haven't used corn sugar in a long time.  That being said, I still prefer to force carb and haven't noticed any oxydation effects in my aged beers.

+2

Table sugar works great.
Ron Price

Offline 4swan

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2010, 08:17:07 am »
Cons for DME: takes a little longer to carbonate, costs more, and leaves more sediment in the bottle.

Offline jwaldner

• Cellarman
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2010, 08:23:29 pm »
Thanks all,

Looks like there's no clear cut decision on this one but a lot of differing opinions and good rationale.

I appreciate the feedback.

Offline The Professor

• Brewmaster
  • "In the next life, you're on your own"
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2010, 08:39:04 pm »
But can you age a force carbonated bottle of beer just as long as a bottle conditioned beer (5 plus years or more).  I'm under the impression that the yeast from the bottle conditioned beer will scavenge all the oxygen compared to a force carbonated bottle of beer.

Yes you can age force carbonated beer...I've been doing it for many years.  Typical time in bottle for some of my beers  (after a fairly lengthy bulk aging period) is  months to a year.  I have some particularly  strong force carbonated beers that have been in bottle between 3-5 years old, and they are tasting fine.
AL
New Brunswick, NJ
[499.6, 101.2] Apparent Rennerian
Homebrewer since July 1971

Offline CASK1

• Cellarman
  • Jacksonville, FL
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2010, 10:40:27 am »

I use whatever I have available, often table sugar. Since sucrose (table sugar) is a disaccharide, the yeast must produce invertase enzyme to break it down before it can be metabolized. For this reason, I use dextrose in high alcohol beers when the yeast are already stressed. FWIW, DME for priming allows a beer to be considered up to Reinheitsgebot standards.

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2010, 11:52:26 am »
FWIW, DME for priming allows a beer to be considered up to Reinheitsgebot standards.

For any of you that want to sell your beer in Germany! :D
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na Zdraví

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2010, 03:09:57 pm »
And that, then, you be the ONLY reason for using DME.  Past literature that DME provided more tiny bubbles and creaminess, I think, is a bunch of hooey.  But to each his/her own.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2010, 03:40:56 pm »
I'd say it's several bunches of hooey!
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2010, 03:44:10 pm »
Occam's Razor = Use table sugar!
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee