Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Watch out for short-cuts!  (Read 4824 times)

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
Re: Watch out for short-cuts!
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 07:10:32 pm »
I brew alone.

Reminds me of this.  8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysXMAOgEIq4

I was thinking *exactly* the same thing...  Figured you'd be into the Lonesome George and the Delaware Destroyers.  That song has the best lines.  "The only one who will hang out with me is my dear Old Grand Dad."

HA!

Gotta get a Thorogood fix every now and then. Ole' Georgie and the boys are bad to the bone.  8)
Ron Price

Offline BrewArk

• Brewmaster
  • Rick - Newark, California
    • BrewArk
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 07:19:07 pm »
I brew alone.

Reminds me of this.  8)

I was thinking *exactly* the same thing...  Figured you'd be into the Lonesome George and the Delaware Destroyers.  That song has the best lines.  "The only one who will hang out with me is my dear Old Grand Dad."

HA!

Gotta get a Thorogood fix every now and then. Ole' Georgie and the boys are bad to the bone.  8)

all I can say is: "Get a haircut & get a real job"  ;)
Beer...Now there's a temporary solution!

Na Zdraví

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 12:52:17 am »
I brew alone.

Reminds me of this.  8)

I didn't even have to follow the link to know what it was :)
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 01:16:55 am »
Who was that chick at the end? She looks familiar.
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2010, 12:28:44 pm »
I brew alone.

Reminds me of this.  8)

I didn't even have to follow the link to know what it was :)

Great Brewers think alike.  8)
Ron Price

Offline pweis909

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2010, 04:31:53 am »
My latest blunder occured when I was inspired by Drew's Zymurgy article on turning 1 beer into two.  To make the long story short, I pitched a Belgian ale yeast starter into the batch that was destined to be a dubbel, and then I pitched my American ale yeast into the batch that was destined to be a dubbel.  I pitched it into the wrong fermenter!  That left me with no yeast for my IPA.  Although it was 11pm, I live near a convenient mart that sells a small assortment of homebrew products.  When I arrived, they were out of S-05 and S-04, my "go to" dry yeasts.  So I got a Nottingham pack.  Then I realized it was the recalled Nottingham that some homebrewers have complained about as non-starter.  So I got a Windsor pack too.  I pitched them both.  To recap, it was 1 mash, 2 different beers, and 4 different yeasts.  I'll sample the first bottle of the Notty-Windsor IPA today.

beveragebob

« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2010, 07:56:15 am »
I hope you took good notes. It may turn out to be fantastic!

Offline gordonstrong

• Senior Brewmaster
    • BJCP
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2010, 09:13:45 am »
My latest blunder occured when I was inspired by Drew's Zymurgy article on turning 1 beer into two.  To make the long story short, I pitched a Belgian ale yeast starter into the batch that was destined to be a dubbel, and then I pitched my American ale yeast into the batch that was destined to be a dubbel.  I pitched it into the wrong fermenter!  That left me with no yeast for my IPA.  Although it was 11pm, I live near a convenient mart that sells a small assortment of homebrew products.  When I arrived, they were out of S-05 and S-04, my "go to" dry yeasts.  So I got a Nottingham pack.  Then I realized it was the recalled Nottingham that some homebrewers have complained about as non-starter.  So I got a Windsor pack too.  I pitched them both.  To recap, it was 1 mash, 2 different beers, and 4 different yeasts.  I'll sample the first bottle of the Notty-Windsor IPA today.

As brewing disaster stories go, that's pretty funny and likely not fatal.

Maybe adopt a system to identify when you have pitched.  I keep a piece of aluminum foil over the carboy before it's pitched, and add an airlock afterwards.  Maybe something like that would help.  Or if you're making multiple beers, take some masking tape and identify the carboys before you fill them.  You could even make little reminder flags, like a piece of tape that says "needs yeast" that you remove when you pitch.  But chances are, once you've made this mistake, you won't make it again anyway.  That's how most mistakes go (thankfully).
Gordon Strong • Beavercreek, Ohio • AHA Member since 1997 • Twitter: GordonStrong

Offline pweis909

• Cellarman
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2010, 01:57:55 pm »
I hope you took good notes. It may turn out to be fantastic!

Thanks for the encouraging words, Bob.  I tasted the AIPA last night and the Belgian this afternoon.  Gordon is right that the mistake was fatal neither for the dubbel nor the AIPA.  I suspect that the dubbel has a reduced Belgian yeast character because some of the fermentables were consumed by the American ale yeast.  The AIPA is a bit fruity, probably because of the Windsor, and this fruityness might have been more intense if not for the Nottingham's presence.  I think the dubbel is more to style than the AIPA, but that likely is more of a recipe issue than a yeast issue (advice for next IPA: more late hops).  While I don't think the mistake is worth repeating, I am happy to have two drinkable beers.     

beveragebob

« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2010, 02:39:36 pm »
Now blend them 1/2 in a glass and see how your recipe collaboration tastes together. I was reading on another thread where someone made a Triple(as in Belgian) IPA so, I blended a real hoppy IPA with my Belgian Triple I have on tap and I loved it. Never thought of using Trappist Ale yeast for a Golden Belgian IPA and I'm thinking "why not"

Offline capozzoli

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Lat 40* 6 m. 2.24 s. Long -74* 51 m. 21.75 s.
    • Capozzoli Metalworks
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2010, 04:19:06 pm »
Distractions are the bane of all Brewers.
This is why I prefer to brew ALONE.  No one home, invite no one over, ALONE.  I don't like distractions.  I've forgotten to take SG readings, forgotten to add certain things to the boil, etc. and realizing later it pisses me off so much.
I brew alone these days.

Me too; pant-less, well unless you count little Capazzoli and the hairy twins.
Beer, its whats for dinner.

http://theholyravioli.blogspot.com/

http:// www.thecapo.us

Offline tubercle

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sweet Caroline
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2010, 04:37:35 pm »
 :o :o :o :o
Sweet Caroline where the Sun rises over the deep blue sea and sets somewhere beyond Tennessee

Offline bluesman

• I must live here
  • Delaware
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2010, 06:08:06 pm »
Ron Price

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2010, 07:41:56 pm »
I brew alone. But appropriately garbed (just like Mrs. Cleaver, in a dress, pearls, and high heels, with my hair perfectly coiffed, and a festive ruffled apron to keep my dress nice).
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline Mikey

• Brewer
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2010, 06:57:03 am »
I miss June.