Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hey Y'all.....and has anyone used one of these?  (Read 1368 times)

Offline JKL

• Assistant Brewer
Hey Y'all.....and has anyone used one of these?
« on: November 03, 2010, 10:42:45 am »
Hey guys!!!  love the forum (especially 'cause it clears the firewall here at work).  I'm finally back to brewing after a 3 year hiatus.  I brewed a strong stout (1.072 OG) 3 weeks ago and aside from a few rookie mistakes everything went well until after the brew session.  I pitched my yeast into my wort that was too warm and had troubles stabilizing my fermentation temps (swamp cooler method).  That being said, I found this on the net the other day.  I've got an extra temp controller just lying around I was wondering if anyone has uses one of these or something like it to monitor fermentation temps?   

http://www.brewershardware.com/Straight-Wall-Thermowells/

Offline dak0415

• Brewmaster
  • Winston-Salem, NC
Re: Hey Y'all.....and has anyone used one of these?
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 11:10:58 am »
I use the 16" in my fermenter, inside a chest freezer.  I squoze it through the small tail on a carboy cap and use the large nipple for the blowoff tube.  Works great!
Dave Koenig
Anything worth doing - is worth overdoing!

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Hey Y'all.....and has anyone used one of these?
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 12:00:34 pm »
I've got an ugly homemade one from the diptube of a 3 gallon keg.   I love it.  I use it in my conical siting in an insulated box I built with a window AC as a cooling source.  I brewed a bunch of beers with Nottingham earlier this year and was able to keep them at 58F fermentation temp using the thermowell and Ranco controller.
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico