Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Life after Brett  (Read 1296 times)

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
Life after Brett
« on: November 03, 2010, 05:45:30 pm »
I've got a better bottle that had a brett beer in it for about four months that I'd like to use for other, non-brett beers.  It's relatively new, has never had a carboy brush used on it, and is visibly free from any scratches.  I've already put it through a long, double strength oxiclean soak and then a double strength starsan soak.

Should I risk it or put this one on the shelf exclusively for future brett beers?
Clint
Wort Hogs

Offline abraxas

• Assistant Brewer
Re: Life after Brett
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 09:58:10 pm »
I'd bet a lot of money that you'll be ok, but why not brew a beer that would ok with brett for your first shot. If it survives that....

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Life after Brett
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 10:28:51 pm »
Long before I knew any better I made a batch of malt vinegar and a batch of apple cider vinegar in cornies after I decided they sucked as alcoholic beverages.  Those 2 cornies are still in rotation 10+ years later with no special efforts made to clean them.  They still have the same gaskets and everything because I have no idea which of my +/- 20 kegs were used to make those vinegars, and I'd wager that each keg has had 30 batches of beers stored and served from them without a single infected batch.  Bottom line is that normal sanitation procedures are plenty to kill whatever you've had in your containers
Life is wonderful in sunny White Signal New Mexico