Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Can anyone Identify the make/model of this ferminter?  (Read 3691 times)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
Re: Can anyone Identify the make/model of this ferminter?
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2010, 03:50:56 pm »
I'm no metallurgist, but I don't think AL is good either.  Can anybody confirm this or correct me?

I am an engineer, but not a metalurgical engineer.  My 1947 copy of the "Practical Brewer" covers the use of wood, glass lined steel, stainless steel, aluminum, and concrete fermenters.  There are pictures of the wood, aluminum and concrete fermenters.  Cleaning aluminum was covered, and cautions given for acid and alkaline cleaners.  Beerstone removal in aluminum was to be with 15-20% nitric acid which can be dangerous (quote).

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

jaybeerman

« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 05:07:01 pm »
Your best bet is to make friends with one of your local pro-brewers.  I imagine that you could find one willing to help you hook this thing up, if you offer some incentive.  The glycol system is moderately difficult to set-up and from the sound of it, you're going to need a bit of help.  I suppose you could use the fermenter without using the glycol jacket (the thing you've been refering to as a heat exchange) but that seems like a waste.

2&3)  im fairly sure that the wiring diagram for the controller is on the back of the cover.  you'll need a new power cord and new control wiring.  like i said, you'll also need a selenoid valve, a pump, a glycol manifold and a way to chill the glycol. Hypothetically, you could use an aquarium chiller to chill water (or glycol) and run it through the glycol jacket (see pic 154) but I've not seen this actually work yet.  If you don't know what I'm talking about when I say to hook up the control wiring to a selenoid valve then you need to find a local pro-brewer to help you.  FYI, there are multiple youtube videos that show DIY glycol systems for homebrewers.

4) hook a blow off tube up to (pic 158)

Offline dhacker

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2010, 05:22:40 am »
As far as make or model, looks like a one-of-a-kind custom built by someone with a passion for tinkering. Perhaps a TMS hopper with a lot of add on goodies.

http://www.toledometalspinning.com/products/hoppers/priceList.asp
Just brew it...

Offline belsolar

• 1st Kit
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2010, 09:30:51 pm »
Anyone suggest a good brew store around the Longmont, CO area that may have some knowledge about parts, accessoreis and etc. to help me with this fermenter?