Author Topic: Life after Brett  (Read 566 times)

Offline tygo

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Sterling, VA
    • View Profile
Life after Brett
« on: November 03, 2010, 04:45:30 PM »
I've got a better bottle that had a brett beer in it for about four months that I'd like to use for other, non-brett beers.  It's relatively new, has never had a carboy brush used on it, and is visibly free from any scratches.  I've already put it through a long, double strength oxiclean soak and then a double strength starsan soak.

Should I risk it or put this one on the shelf exclusively for future brett beers?
Clint
Wort Hogs

Fermenting: Wit
On Tap: Lucifer's Hammer Golden Strong Ale, Dopplebock, Old Fuzzynut's Ale

Offline abraxas

• Assistant Brewer
    • View Profile
Re: Life after Brett
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 08:58:10 PM »
I'd bet a lot of money that you'll be ok, but why not brew a beer that would ok with brett for your first shot. If it survives that....

Offline corkybstewart

• Senior Brewmaster
    • View Profile
Re: Life after Brett
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2010, 09:28:51 PM »
Long before I knew any better I made a batch of malt vinegar and a batch of apple cider vinegar in cornies after I decided they sucked as alcoholic beverages.  Those 2 cornies are still in rotation 10+ years later with no special efforts made to clean them.  They still have the same gaskets and everything because I have no idea which of my +/- 20 kegs were used to make those vinegars, and I'd wager that each keg has had 30 batches of beers stored and served from them without a single infected batch.  Bottom line is that normal sanitation procedures are plenty to kill whatever you've had in your containers
I'd really just rather be brewing in sunny Carlsbad New Mexico