Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: mash tun upgrade  (Read 2242 times)

Offline ajdarnel

• 1st Kit
mash tun upgrade
« on: November 03, 2010, 07:46:03 pm »
I was wondering if anyone had advice as to the best way to upgrade my system, specifically my mash tun...Currently I brew 10 gallon batches with a 20 gallon brew kettle, and two 10 gallon modified rubbermaid coolers as HLT and Mash Tun. The mash tun maxes out around 30lbs of grain and a 1qt H20: lb grain ratio. My question is; Should I buy a false bottom for my 20 gallon boil kettle (turning it into a mash tun) and buy a Blichmann 15 gallon brew kettle, or just buy a generic 15 gallon kettle/false bottom combo? It seems like they are pretty close in cost when you consider the Blichmann has all upgrades standard. Any thoughts? Also is there anything I'm not thinking of, I know that now I will need to apply heat to the Mash Tun during the mash to maintain temp since it's not insulated like the cooler. Thanks in advance.

Offline tschmidlin

• I must live here
  • Redmond, WA
Re: mash tun upgrade
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2010, 01:11:47 am »
Why not just get bigger coolers?

You can get a 70 qt cooler for $36

Or you can get 100 qt cooler for $74

There might even be cheaper ones available, these are just coolers I've looked at previously.  Most importantly though, they're blue!   ;D

I have the 70, but use it as a cooler as opposed to as a mash tun.
Tom Schmidlin

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 01:28:33 am »
Bigger mashtun sounds like the answer. But it'd be nice to be able to heat it up too, which sounds like what you really want. If you don't mind spending the dosh then I'd do another 20 gal kettle with a FB instead of the 15. Do it right. Ya know? Keep it all in balance. :)

The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis

Offline ajdarnel

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2010, 09:13:56 pm »
thanks for the advice!

Offline euge

• I must live here
  • Ego ceruisam ad bibere cervisiam
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2010, 11:07:27 pm »
thanks for the advice!

You're welcome!

Well?! What did you decide to do? ???
The first principle is that you must not fool yourself, and you are the easiest person to fool. -Richard P. Feynman

Laws are spider-webs, which catch the little flies, but cannot hold the big ones. -Anacharsis